Head of Philosophy
Nick Treanor is a Reader in Philosophy and head of the department. Before coming to Edinburgh in 2012, he was the Newton Trust Lecturer in Philosophy at the University of Cambridge and a Fellow of Churchill College. He works in epistemology, the philosophy of mind and language, and metaphysics. He received his PhD in 2009 from Brown University.
In 2017, Nick was awarded the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Student Experience.
Responsibilities & affiliations
- Head of Philosophy
- Member of the University-wide Task Force on Student Belonging
- Member of PPLS School Executive Committee
- Member of the School Management Committee
- Elected Member of the Senatus Academicus
- Member of the PPLS Equality & Diversity Committee
- Philosophy Reading Party Coordinator
- Executive Committee of the Scots Phil Association
My main teaching areas at Edinburgh are epistemology, philosophy of mind, and metaphysics, but before moving to Edinburgh I taught these subjects as well as courses in aesthetics, ancient philosophy, early modern philosophy, philosophy of language and philosophy of science.
I also run the Honours Philosophy Weekend, which I started in autumn 2013.
Student Consultation Hours: Please email Ruth.Harley@ed.ac.uk for an appointment
by appointment, or feel free to drop by my office
Open to PhD supervision enquiries?
Current PhD students supervised
Metaphysics, Epistemology, Philosophy of Mind and Language