Dr Murray Craig
Programme Director Year 4: MA (Hons) PE / Strand Leader PGDE (Secondary) PE
Moray House School of Education and Sport, SL G6
- University of Edinburgh (Holyrood Campus)
- Post code
- EH8 8AQ
I am currently a subject leader for the Post Graduate Diploma in Education (Secondary) - Physical Education programme at the University, as well as Programme Director for Year 4 of the Undergraduate MA (Hons) Physical Education programme. As well as leading aspects of the PGDE-PE and MA (Hons) PE programmes I am involved in the delivery of various courses across both programmes.
I have previously taught physical education in both England and Scotland. After graduating from Liverpool John Moore’s University in 1995 with a BEd (Hons) in PE (with Science), my first teaching post was in Northamptonshire, teaching Secondary PE, as well as general Science, at Brooke Weston CTC in Corby.
I returned to Scotland in 1997 and took up a teaching position within the physical education department at George Watson’s College (GWC) in Edinburgh. My teaching career was put on hold for a period of two years as I was fortunate to be offered the opportunity to play rugby on full-time professional basis with Edinburgh Rugby in 1997/98, and Exeter Rugby in 1998/99.
I returned to George Watson’s College in 1999 and taught curricular and certificated PE, as well as extra-curricular sport, for six years. In 2005 I moved into further education lecturing in Sports Coaching and Sports Development at Edinburgh’s Telford College. At this time I studied, on a part-time basis, for an MSc in Applied Sports Psychology at Staffordshire University, graduating in 2010.
In 2011 I moved in to higher education when I undertook a teaching secondment at Moray House. Employed as a teaching fellow I delivered on a variety of courses across both the BEd(Hons) PE and PGDE-PE programmes. Upon completion of the secondment in 2012 I took up my current position, namely Bicentennial Teaching Fellow, which involves the organisation and delivery on various courses across both the PGDE-PE and MA PE programs. In addition to my teaching commitments I studied, on a part-time basis, for an Docorate in Education at The University of Edinburgh, graduating in 2019.
The University of Edinburgh - Doctorate in Education
Staffordshire University - MSc Applied Sport & Exercise Psychology
Liverpool JMU - BEd(Hons) Secondary Physical Education with Science
Responsibilities & affiliations
UKCC Level 1 & 2 Accredited Coach Educator for the Scottish Rugby
Current/previous teaching responsibilities on the MA (Hons) Physical Education programme:
- Sports Science 1B - Sport Psychology
- Professional Practice and Enquiry
- Physical Education Curriculum and Pedagogy 2 - The Early Secondary Years
- Physical Edcuation Curriculum and Pedagogy 3 - National Awards
- Physical Education 4B (Perspectives) - Sport Psychology
- Practical Activities - Striking & Fielding Games, Swimming and Rugby
Current/previous teaching responsibilities on the PGDE (Secondary) Physical Education programme:
- Curriculum and Pedagogy - Broad General Education
- Curriculum and Pedagogy - National Qualifications
- Behaviour Management
- Involving Technology in Physical Education
- Motivational Climates
- Developing 'Psychological Characterisitics of Developing Excellence' (PCDE's) in Physical Education
- Practical Activities - Striking & Fielding Games, Swimming (NQ), Athletics and Badminton
- Placement Tutor
Open to PhD supervision enquiries?