Personal Chair of Behavioural Genetics
Room S26, Psychology Building
- 7 George Square, Edinburgh
- Post code
- EH8 9JZ
I am available Mon-Thurs, but please email me to schedule a specific time.
I use twin and family modelling to investigate the relative influence of genes and environment on behavior, genome-wide association techniques for gene discovery, plus other analyses to explore the effects of rare and structural genetic variants, gene methylation and biological pathways. I am also interested in the interaction between measured environmental variables with genes.
Behavioural Genetics Psychology Honours option course.
I am flexible with meetings, so please just drop me an email, knock on my door or phone to organise a time.
Open to PhD supervision enquiries?
Areas of interest for supervision
Please contact me to discuss any topics related to my research interests.
Funded project available on pain and frailty, applications close 30th January 2024: https://www.findaphd.com/phds/project/data-driven-insight-into-the-relationship-between-pain-and-frailty/?p164689
A specific project on the genetics of reading and language is available and would involve multivariate twin modelling of such data, alongside molecular genetic analysis, including epigenetic investigations.
Current PhD students supervised
- Otto Jutila
- Jonny Flint
- Lucas Perry
- Ye Zhang
Past PhD students supervised
- Iva Čukić (Research fellow at Liverpool, https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/population-health/staff/iva-cukic/)
- Bill Chan (Lecturer at Lingnan, https://scholars.ln.edu.hk/en/persons/cheuk-long-chan)
- Lydia Speyer (Lecturer at Lancaster, https://www.research.lancs.ac.uk/portal/en/people/lydia-speyer(07d136a5-db2d-493f-a3b9-a918991fafc1).html)
- Miles Welstead (Dementia researcher psychologist)
- Emma Waterston (Senior Teaching Co-ordinator, UoE, https://www.ed.ac.uk/profile/e-waterston)
- Yuzhan Hang (Researcher at the University of Science and Technology of China)
- Donncha Mullin (Medical doctor in Old Age Psychiatry, NHS Scotland; Honorary Clinical Lecturer, UoE, https://www.ed.ac.uk/profile/dr-donncha-mullin)
- Catherine Doust (Teacher)
- Elinor Bridges (Management role in local government)
Environmental and genetic factors contributing to cognition, personality, mood, well-being and brain MRI measures.