Professor Jeff Haywood
Moray House School of Education and Sport
- University of Edinburgh (Holyrood Campus)
- Post code
- EH8 8AQ
Current PhD students supervised
- Peter Evans- The imapact of social media on professional learning
- investigation of effectiveness of ICT in enhancing learning (especially in higher education)
- cultural and political factors in uptake and use of ICT in education
- evaluation of national and institutional strategies for implementation of ICT-supported education
- development of benchmarks for measuring effective use of ICT in education
- adult basic skills development through ICT
- qualitative and quantitative data capture and analysis (especially through use of ICT)
Chapters in books
- Haywood, D., Haywood, J. and MacLeod, H., 2006Graduate e-Literacies and Employabilityin Literacies for Learning in the Digital Age, Ed. Martin, A. & Madigan, D., London: Facet, 1-85604-563-3.
- Tosh, D., Werdmuller, B., Chen, H., Pennylight, T. and Haywood, J., 2006The Learning Landscape: A Conceptual Framework for ePortfoliosin Handbook of Research on ePortfolios, Ed. Jafari, A. & Kauffman, C., U.S: C. Pub Idea group, 1-59140-890-3.
- Tosh, D., MacLeod, H. and Haywood, J., 2004E-portfolios in European Educationin ePortfolio: New Paradigm in Learning Assessment and Career Opportunities, Idea Group Inc Publishers.
- MacLeod, H., Haywood, J., Haywood, D. and Littleton, F., 2004Choosing and Using a Learning Gamein Guidelines for Game-Based Learning, Ed. Pivec, M., Koubek, A. & Dondi, C., Lengerich, Germany: PABST Science Publishing, 3-89967-193-7.
- Anderson, C., Day, K., Haywood, D., Haywood, J., Land, Ray and MacLeod, H., 2002Evaluating Networked Learning: Developing a Multi-Disciplinary, Multi-Method Approachin Networked Learning: Perspectives and Issues, Ed. Steeples, C & Jones, C., pp. 169-192, London: Springer.
- Eds. Haywood, J. and Mettinger, A., 2007Enhancing Student Mobility in a Digital World: Sharing Experiences in an Enlarged Europe978-90-9022635-4.
- Mogey, N., Sarab, G., Haywood, J., Van Heyningen, S., Dewhurst, D., Hounsell, D. and Neilson, R., 2007The end of handwriting? Using computers in traditional essay examinationsJournal of Computer Assisted Learning, Vol. 24(1), pp. 39-46.
- Haywood, D., Haywood, J. and Mogey, N., 2005Delivering eCPD: Successes and Challenges in Using ICT to Support Learners on the Scottish Qualification for Headship CourseEducational Leadership and Management.
- Tosh, D., Pennylight, T., Fleming, K. and Haywood, J., 2005Engagement with Electronic Portfolios: Challenges from the Student PerspectiveCanadian Journal of Learning & Technology; Special Issue on Electronic Portfolios, Vol. 31(3), pp. 89-110.
- Haywood, J., Haywood, D., MacLeod, H. and Baggetun, R. Et Al, 2004A Comparison of ICT Skills of Students Across EuropeJournal of e-Literacy, Vol. 1(2), pp. 69-81.
- Haywood, J., 2004A Comparison of ICT Skills of Students Across EuropeJournal of e-Literacy (1745-4360), Vol. 1, pp. 69-81.
- Haywood, J. and Et, Al, 2003'A Comparison of ICT Skills of Students Across Europe'Journal of e-Literacy.
- MacLeod, H., Haywood, D., Haywood, J. and Anderson, C., 2002Gender and Information and Communications Technology - a 10-year study of new undergraduatesTechtrends, Vol. 46(6).
Published conference papers
- Hardy, J., Haywood, D., Bates, S., Paterson, J., Rhind, S., MacLeod, H. and Haywood, J., 2008Expectations and Reality: Exploring the use of learning technologies across the disciplines6th International Conference on Networked Learning, Halkidiki, Greece.
- Littleton, F., Haywood, J. and MacLeod, H., 2006Influence of videogame play on student's approach to learning?4th International Symposium for Information Design, Stuttgart Media University, 2nd June 2005, Karlsruhe: Universitatsverlag Karlsruhe, 3-86644-010-3.
- Hu, Yuhua, Haywood, J. and MacLeod, H., 2006Chinese Students and CALL: How To Improve The Effectiveness?International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language Conference, Nicosia, Cyprus, 26th - 28th May, 2006.
- Hu, Yuhua, Haywood, J. and MacLeod, H., 2005Chinese Students and CALL: How Do They Fit?Proceedings of the PacCALL Conference 2005, Kunming, P. R. China.
- Haywood, J., Haywood, D., MacLeod, H., Mogey, N. and Alexander, W., 2004The Student View of ICT in Education at the University of Edinburgh: skills, attitudes and expectationsin Blue Skies & Pragmatism: learning technologies for the next decade. Research Proceedings of the 11th Association for Learning Technology Conference (ALT-C 2004), Ed. Cook, J., pp. 229-245, University of Exeter, England, 14-16 September 2004.
- Haywood, J., 2001Strategies for a Digital UniversityIUAP Seminar, University of Aalborg, Skagen, Denmark, May 2001.
Reports for external bodies
- Haywood, D., Haywood, J. and Baldry, A. Et Al, 2007VICTORIOUS Report.
- Haywood, J., Haywood, D., Tosh, D. and MacLeod, H., 2005E-Portfolios: A Reference Report for the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA)p. 50.
- Haywood, J., MacLeod, H., Haywood, D., Mogey, N. and Alexander, W., 2004'Student Views of E-Learning A Survey of University of Edinburgh WebCT Users 2004'www.flp.ed.ac.uk/webct/surveyresults2004.pdf.
- MacLeod, H., Haywood, J. and Haywood, D., 2004'Survey of Freshers: ICT Experience & Attitudes'www.flp.ed.ac.uk/freshers2003/surveyresults.pdf, School of Education, University of Edinburgh.
- Haywood, J. and Haywood, D., 2004SPOTplus - Student perspectives on technology in teaching and learning in European universities'University of Erlangen.
- MacLeod, H. and Haywood, J., 2003Oaklands Furniture GameBerlin: On-Line Educa.
- Haywood, D., Haywood, J., MacLeod, H. and Tenhonen, P. Et Al, 2003Surveys of European Universities Skills for ICT for Staff and Students (SEUSSIS Project Report)University of Edinburgh.
- Haywood, J., 2003ELearning and International EducationLondon: Universities Council for Education of Teachers.
- Haywood, J., 2002ELearning and central university servicesUniversity of Queensland.
- Haywood, J. and Haywood, D., 2002Evaluation of Use of ICT in the Scottish Qualification for Headship Awardwww.flp.ed.ac.uk/SQH/SQHReport.pdf, School of Education, University of Edinburgh.
- Dondi, C., Haywood, J., Haywood, D., Lowyck, J., Mancinelli, E. and Proost, K., 2002Students perceptions of ICT relevance for university studies: preliminary results from the "SPOT Plus" surveyProc Online Educa Berlin 2002.
- Haywood, J., 2001Developing an e-learning strategy. Senior Management workshop for the University of RoskildeCopenhagen, Denmark: University of Roskilde.
- Haywood, J., Haywood, D., Anderson, C., Day, K., Land, Ray, MacLeod, H. and Wood, Jean, 2001Evaluation of the GOLD Project, Final ReportReport for External Body.
- Haywood, J., Anderson, C., Land, Ray, Haywood, D., Day, K., MacLeod, H. and Wood, Jean, 2001Evaluation of TLTP Phase 3 Project GOLD - Guidance On-line for Learners at a DistanceReport for External Body, School of Education, University of Edinburgh.
- Haywood, J., Anderson, C., Coyle, Helen, Day, K., Haywood, D. and MacLeod, H., 2000Learning technology in Scottish higher education - a survey of the views of senior managers, academic staff and 'experts'Association for Learning Technology Journal, Vol. 8, 2.
- Haywood, J., Anderson, C., Coyle, Helen, Day, K., Haywood, D. and MacLeod, H., 2000Learning Technology in Scottish Higher Education - a survey of the views of senior managers, academic staff and 'experts'Alt-J: Association for Learning Technology (0968-7769), Vol. 8 (2), pp. 8-17.
- Anderson, C., Day, K., Haywood, J., Land, Ray and MacLeod, H., 2000Mapping the Territory:issues in evaluation large-scale learning technology initiativesEducational Technology and Society (1436-4522), Vol. 3 (4), pp. 31-42.
- MacLeod, H., Price, S., McAndrew, P., Cuttle, M., Rist, R., Mayes, T., Bonharme, E., Land, Ray and Haywood, J., 1997The MARBLE Project: a collaborative approach to producing educational material for the WebInternational Journal of Educational Telecommunications (1077-9124), Vol. 3,2, pp. 293-320.
- Asgari-Jirhandeh, N. and Haywood, J., 1997Computer awareness among medical students: a surveyMedical Education (0308-0110), Vol. 31, pp. 225-231.
- Getlawi, F., Laslop, A., Ludwig, J., Haywood, J. and Apps, D., 1996Chromaffin granule membrane glycoprotein IV is identical with Ac45, a membrane-integral subunit of the granule's H-ATPaseNeurosci. Lett, Vol. 219, pp. 13-16.
Published conference papers
- Anderson, C., Day, K., Haywood, J., Land, Ray and MacLeod, H., 1999Going with the grain? Issues in the evaluation of educational innovations8th European Conference for Research on Learning and instruction, Gothenberg, Sweden, 1999 August.
- Land, Ray, Price, S., McAndrew, P., Cuttle, M., Rist, R., Mayes, T., Bonharme, E., Haywood, J. and MacLeod, H., 1996The MARBLE project: A collaborative framework for educational courseware designWebNet, San Francisco, Charlottesville, VA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education.
Reports for external bodies
- Land, Ray, Anderson, C., Day, K., Haywood, D., Haywood, J. and MacLeod, H., 2000Promoting the Use of SCRAN Materials for Learning and Teaching in Higher EducationReport for External Body.
- Haywood, J., 1999HEFCE Report No 39Report for External Body.
- Haywood, J., Anderson, C., Day, K., Haywood, D., Land, Ray and MacLeod, H., 1998Uses of TLTP materials in UK higher education for HEFCEReport for External Body, vol. 39, Bristol: Higher Education Funding Council for England.
- Atkins, M. J., Haywood, J., Holmes, P., Layzell-Ward, P. and Saunders, D., 1998Report of the CTI-TLTSN Review Group for DENI-HEFCE-HEFCW-SHEFCReport for External Body, vol. 47.
- Day, K., Haywood, J., MacLeod, H., Haywood, D. and Coyle, Helen, 1997Report of the Evaluation of the Learning Technology Dissemination Initiative for SHEFCReport for External Body.