Dr Francesca Iezzi
Mathematics Engagement Officer
I am the Public Engagement Officer for the School of Mathematics at the University of Edinburgh.
My tasks include:
- Leading and coordinating the outreach activities of the School (i. e. all activities aimed at communicating the School’s research and sharing our passion for Mathematics with the wider community)
- Coordinating the Mathematics Outreach Team and leading students' skills development
- Designing and running activities for the public and producing educational resources
My most recent outreach projects are:
- Have Fun with Maths- a series of educational resources for primary or secondary schools: https://www.maths.ed.ac.uk/have-fun-with-maths
- Maths Week at Work- a series of videos for secondary school students promoting the beauty and applicability of Mathematics. Visit this page for further details and to watch the videos.
I was formerly a PhD student at the University of Warwick, under the supervision of Brian Bowditch, graduating in 2016.
During that time I developed an interest for pedagogy and education, in particular for questions concerning interdisciplinarity and the link between research and teaching in Higher Education.
I am currently interested in questions concerning Mathematics Outreach, Mathematics Education and Science Communication.
Past research interestsMy PhD research was in Geometric Topology. In particular, I was working on questions concerning surface mapping class groups and outer automorphism groups of free groups. As a fellow at the Warwick Institute for <href>hello</href> Advanced Teaching and Learning I worked on a project concerning the research-teaching nexus. In particular, I investigated examples of research-led teaching at Warwick, across different departments.
- With Brian. H. Bowditch, Projections of the sphere graph to the arc graph of a surface; Journal of Topology and Analysis (2018)
- Sphere systems, standard form, and cores of products of trees; Beyond Hyperbolicity, Cambridge University Press (2019)
- A New World… Out of Nothing: review of an interdisciplinary workshop; Exchanges: the Warwick research journal (2017)
- Maths Week at Work: Connecting Maths to Everiday Life; The Scottish Mathematical Council Journal (2019)
- Approaches to research-led teaching at the University of Warwick; in preparation