- School of Philosophy, Psychology and Language Sciences
- 40 George Square, Edinburgh
- Post code
- EH8 9JX
Dave coordinated and contributed to Edinburgh's free Introduction to Philosophy Mooc, which you can sign up for here.
For the past 3 years he has organised Philosophy's contribution to Edinburgh's Sutton Trust Summer School, a programme that lets school students from non-priveleged backgrounds experience university life.
He also coordinates (with Dr. Elinor Mason) Edinburgh's Philosophy and Education Project, an initiative designed to bring the benefits of philosophical thinking to children in Edinburgh schools.
Responsibilities & affiliations
- Philosophy Postgraduate Advisor
- Assistant PPLS MSc Programme Director
- Introduction to Philosophy MOOC Co-organiser
- Philosophy and Education Project Coordinator
In 2015-16 Dave is teaching the following courses:
- Mind Matter and Language
- The Early Continentals: Kant, Hegel and Nietzsche
- Phenomenology: Merleau-Ponty
- Cognition, Culture and Context (MSc)
Office Hours: Wednesday 10am - 12pm
Current PhD students supervised
- Jodie Russell
- Becky Millar
- Maria Neijzen
- Matthew Sims
- Ashleigh Watson
- Alessandro Barbieri
- Rie Iizuka
- Luke Kersten
- Anthony Haynes (School of Divinity)
- Esje Stapleton (School of Social and Political Science)
Dave is interested in working out the relationships between perception, agency and understanding, and using both cognitive science and the history of philosophy to do this. One aspect of this involves thinking about the scope and limits of 'enactivist' approaches in philosophy of mind and cognitive science. Another aspect is trying to work out what German Idealists (like Kant and Hegel) and Phenomenologists (like Merleau-Ponty) have to teach us about these relationships.
You can find some of his publications about these things here.
Philosophy of mind and cognitive science