Professor David Carr
Moray House School of Education and Sport
- University of Edinburgh (Holyrood Campus)
- Post code
- EH8 8AQ
- philosophy of education;
- ethics, virtue ethics and moral education;
- the nature of professionalism and professional ethics;
- knowledge, education and curriculum theory;
- arts education (especially dance, music and literature);
- education of the emotions.
- Carr, D., 2003Making Sense of Education: An Introduction to the Philosophy and Theory of Education and TeachingLondon: Routledge.
Chapters in books
- Stonehouse, P., Allison, P. and Carr, D., 2009Aristotle, Plato and Socrates: Ancient Greek perspectives on experiential learningin Beyond Dewey and Hahn: Standing on the shoulders of influential experiential educators, Ed. Smith, T. & Knapp, C., pp. 29-41, Wisconsin: Raccoon Institute Publications.
- Carr, D., 2008Practical reasonin Moral Education: A Handbook, Ed. Power, G. F., Nuzzi, R. J., Narvaez, D., Lapsely, D. K. & Hunt, T. C., Wexport, CT: Praeger Publishers.
- Carr, D., 2008The fact-value distinctionin Moral Education: A Handbook, Ed. Power, G. F., Nuzzi, R. J., Narvaez, D., Lapsely, D. K. & Hunt, T. C., Wexport, CT: Praeger Publishers.
- Carr, D., 2008Rights, duties and responsibilitiesin Education for Citizenship and Democracy, Ed. Arthur, J., Davies, I. & Han, C., London: Sage.
- Carr, D., 2008Character education as the cultivation of virtuein Handbook of Moral and Character Education, Ed. Nucci, L. P. & Navaez, D., Abingdon and New York: Routledge.
- Carr, D., 2008Practical reason moral virtue and professionalism in teachingin Leaders in Philosophy of Education, Ed. Waks, L. J., Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- Carr, D., 2008Virtue Ethics and the Influence of Aristotlein Contemporary Philosophical and Psychological Perspectives on Moral Development and Education, Ed. Fasko, D. & Willis, W., Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press.
- Carr, D., 2008Virtue Ethicsin Moral Education: A Handbook, Ed. Power, G. F., Nuzzi, R. J., Narvaez, D., Lapsely, D. K. & Hunt, T. C., Wexport, CT: Praeger Publishers.
- Carr, D., 2007On the grammar of religious discourse and education
- in Inspiring Faith in Schools, Ed. Felderfof, M., Thompson, P. & Toverell, D., Aldershot: Ashgate.
- Carr, D., 2007On the prospects of chastity as a contemporary virtuein Sex and Ethics: Essays on Sexuality, Virtue and the Good Life, Ed. Halwani, R., pp. 89-100, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Carr, D., 2005Rival conceptions of practice and teachingin Major Themes in Education: Teacher Education, Ed. Whitehead, M. & Hartley, D., Routledge/TaylorFrancis.
- Carr, D., 2005Teachingin Key Questions for Educators, Ed. Hare, W. & Portelli, J. P., Halifax, Nova Scotia: Edphil Books.
- Carr, D., 2005Is teaching a skill?in Motivating Science: Science Communication from a Philosophical, Educational and Cultural Perspective, Ed. Sanitt, N., pp. 163-173, Luton: The Pataneto Press.
- Carr, D., 2005Virtue Ethics and the Influence of Aristotlein Philosophical and Psychological Perspectives on Moral Development and Education, Ed. Fasko, D. & Willis, W., Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press.
- Carr, D., 2005Philosophy and the Idea of a Christian Universityin The Idea of a Christian University, Ed. Walker, A., pp. 200-217.
- Carr, D., 2005Abstinencein Sex from Plato to Paglia: A Philosophical Encyclopaedia, Ed. Soble, Alan, Westport, Conn: Greenwood Press.
- Carr, D., 2005Mary Wilson Warnockin Dictionary of Twentieth-Century British Philosophers, Ed. Brown, Stuart, London and New York: Thoemmes Press.
- Carr, D., 2004Problems of values educationin Values, Education and the Human World: Essays on Education, Culture, Politics, Religion and Science (The Victor Cook Lectures). St Andrews's Studies in Philosophy and Public Affairs, pp. 14-30, Exeter: Imprint Academy.
- Carr, D., 2004Liberal tolerance and traditional wisdom in sex educationin Analytisch Filosoferen over Opvoeding en Onderwijs: Liber Amoricarum voor Ben Spiecker, Ed. Goenendijk, L. F. & Steutel, J., pp. 97-105, Amsterdam: Uitgeverij, SWP.
- Carr, D., 2004Auden's great healers: Blake, Lane and Lawrence on human nature, society and educationin Philosophy and it's Public Role: Essays in Ethics, Politics, Society and Culture, pp. 53-68, Exeter: Imprint Academic.
- Carr, D., 2003Three concepts of spirituality for spiritual educationin Philosophy, Spirituality and Education, Ed. Carr, David & Haldane, John, London: Routledge.
- Carr, D., 2002Personal and moral selfhood
- in Personal and Moral Identity, Ed. Musschenga, A.W., van Haaften, W., Spiecker, B., Slors, M., pp. 97-106, Dordrecht: Kluwer.
- Ed. Carr, D., 2003Philosophy, Spirituality and EducationLondon: Routledge.
- Carr, D., 2009Virtue, mixed emotions and moral ambivalencePhilosophy, Vol. 84(1), pp. 31-46.
- Carr, D., 2009Narrative and emotion in music: seeking wisdom and truth in music educationResearch Studies in Music Education, Vol. 31, pp. 90-95.
- Carr, D., 2009Revisiting the liberal and vocational dimensions of university educationBritish Journal of Educational Studies, Vol. 57(1), pp. 1-17.
- Carr, D., 2008Music, spirituality and educationJournal of Aesthetic Education, Vol. 42(1), pp. 16-29.
- Carr, D., 2008Religion, liberalism and education: a response to Roger TriggJournal of Beliefs and Values: Studies in Religion and Education, Vol. 29(1), pp. 93-96.
- Carr, D., 2008Soul, freedom and salvation: a literary, cinematic and musical journey to the crossroadsJournal of Beliefs and Values: Studies in Religion and Education, Vol. 29(1), pp. 39-49.
- Carr, D., 2007Religious education, religious literacy and common schooling: a philosophy and history of skewed relectionJournal of Philosophy of Education, Vol. 41(4), pp. 659-673.
- Carr, D., 2007Character in TeachingBritish Journal of Educational Studies, Vol. 55(4), pp. 369-389.
- Carr, D., 2007Moralised Psychology or Psychologised Morality?: ethics and psychology in recent theorising about moral and characterEducational Theory, Vol. 57(4), pp. 389-402.
- Carr, D. and Davis, Robert, 2007The Lure of Evil: exploring the dark side of literature and the artsJournal of Philosophy of Education, Vol. 41(1), pp. 95-112.
- Carr, D., 2007Towards an Educationally Meaningful Curriculum: epistemic holism and knowledge integration re-visitedBritish Journal of Educational Studies, Vol. 55(1), pp. 3-20.
- Carr, D., 2006Moral education at the Movies: on the cinematic treatment of morally significant story and narrativeJournal of Moral Education, Vol. 35(3), pp. 319-334.
- Carr, D., Allison, P. and Meldrum, G., 2006In search of excellence: Towards a philosophically coherent twenty-first century Scottish curriculumScottish Educational Review, Vol. 38(1), pp. 13-24.
- Carr, D., 2006The moral roots of citizenship: towards a virtue ethical reconciliation of principle and character in education for effective citizenshipJournal of Moral Education, Vol. 35(4), pp. 443-456.
- Carr, D., 2006The significance of music for the cultivation of moral and spiritual virtuePhilosophy of Music Education Review, Vol. 14(2), pp. 103-117.
- Carr, D., 2006Professional and personal values and virtues in education and teaching
- Oxford Review of Education, Vol. 32(2), pp. 171-183.
- Carr, D., 2005Education, Values and Concepts of CitizenshipGrowing Citizens, Ed. Storrar, W. & Clegg, C.
- Carr, D., 2005On the contribution of literature and the arts to the educational cultivation of moral virtue, feeling and emotionJournal of Moral Education, Vol. 34(2), pp. 137-151.
- Carr, D., 2005On Feeling and Emotion in Religious Experience and UnderstandingJournal of Beliefs and Values, Vol. 26.
- Carr, D., 2005Personal and interpersonal relationships in education and teaching: a virtue ethical perspectiveBritish Journal of Educational Studies, Vol. 53(3), pp. 255-271.
- Carr, D. and Alexander, Hanan, 2005Philosophical issues in spiritual education and developmentThe Handbook of Spiritual Development in Childhood and Adolescence, Ed. Roehlkepartain, E. C., King, P. E., Wagener, L. & Benson, P. L.
- Carr, D., 2004Moral development: a reply to Richmond and CummingsJournal of Moral Education.
- Carr, D., 2004On the grammar of religious discourse and educationZeitschrift fur Erziehungswissenschaft, Vol. 3, pp. 380-393.
- Carr, D., 2004Moral values and the arts in environmental education: towards an ethics of aesthetic appreciationJournal of Philosophy in Education, Vol. 38, No 2, pp. 221-239.
- Carr, D., 2004Reason, meaning and truth in religious narrative: towards an epistemic rationale for religious and faith school educationStudies in Christian Ethics, Vol. 17, pp. 38-53.
- Carr, D., 2004Music, meaning and emotionJournal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, Vol. 62, pp. 225-234.
- Carr, D., 2004Taking narrative seriously: exploring the educational status of story and mythPhilosophy of Education 2003, pp. 81-89, Ed. Alston, Kal.
- Carr, D., 2003Philosophy and the meaning of 'education'Theory and Research in Education, Vol. 2, pp. 195-212.
- Carr, D., 2003
- Rival conceptions of practice in education and teachingJournal of Philosophy of Education, Vol. 37, No 2, pp. 253-266.
- Carr, D., 2003
- The moral educational implications of rival conceptions of education and teaching
- Journal of Moral Education, Vol. 32, 3, pp. 219-232.
- Carr, D., 2003Spiritual, moral and heroic virtue: Aristotelian character in the Arthurian and Grail narrativesJournal of Beliefs and Values, Vol. 24, pp. 15-26.
- Carr, D., 2003Character and moral choice in the cultivation of virtuePhilosophy, Vol. 78, pp. 219-232.
- Carr, D., 2003Diverse Senses of Practice in Education and TeachingJournal of Philosophy of Education.
- Carr, D., 2002Moral education and the perils of developmentalismJournal of Moral Education, Vol. 30, pp. 5-19.
- Carr, D., 2002Feelings in moral conflict and the hazards of emotional intelligenceEthical Theory and Moral Practice, Vol. 5, pp. 3-21.
- Carr, D., 2002Metaphysics, reductivism and spiritual discourse
- Zygon, Vol. 37, 2, pp. 491-509.