Visiting research students
How to apply to the School of Philosophy, Psychology and Language Sciences (PPLS) as a visiting student
We welcome visiting research students in PPLS.
A visiting research student is someone who is currently enrolled in a programme at another institution and wishes to conduct research in PPLS at the University of Edinburgh for a period of time (up to a maximum of 12 months).
If you are a visiting research student, you will not graduate from the University of Edinburgh, and will return to your home institution following the defined period of research.
Please be aware that PPLS does not provide funding for visiting students.
During your visit, we will provide:
- Visitor access to IT accounts, on-campus WIFI access, and library access
- Access to relevant events across the University
- Access to the designated PGR study spaces in our buildings
- Monthly printing budget uploaded to your student card
How to apply to be a visiting research student in PPLS
Identify an academic member of staff within PPLS whose research interests relate to your own and can supervise you during your visit.
You can contact this member of staff directly or you can forward your CV/academic transcript and research proposal to the PPLS PG office and we will look for a suitable supervisor.
Links to research interests:
- Browse research interests in Philosophy
- Browse research interests in Psychology
- Browse research interests in Language Sciences
Once supervision is guaranteed, send the following documents to the School’s Postgraduate Office at least 6 weeks before your planned start date:
- An official transcript of a first degree in an appropriate subject or relevant qualifications/experience
- Academic reference from your supervisor in your home institution
- Personal statement
- Current research proposal
- English Language Test Score if you are coming for more than 3 months
The School Postgraduate Office will forward the documentation to the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences’ (CAHSS) Visiting Student Office and they will issue the formal invitation.
Visits of up to 3 months are free of charge. Visits of three to twelve months incur a fee.
International visiting students
Information for international students on what you need do to enter the UK as a student.
Get in touch with the Postgraduate Office with any enquiries: