Train travel discount
Staff can save 20 per cent on train journeys to London when travelling for work.
[Please note: deal no longer available, archive news item for reference only]
The University, in partnership with Key Travel, has agreed a 20 per cent discount on Virgin East Coast trains between Edinburgh and London.
To use the deal, follow the link to register with the University’s travel supplier, Key Travel.
This is a fantastic value ticket, with free upgrade to first class and a Zone 1 / 2 underground journey. This is also a far more time effective and sustainable way to travel over air and helps support the University of Edinburgh in reducing its overall CO2 emissions in business travel.
- Fully flexible Standard Class travel.
- Complimentary upgrade to First Class on both legs of the journey at no extra cost.
- Complimentary food and beverages on both the outbound and return leg of the journey if upgrade to First Class is used.
- Complimentary Zone 1 / 2 return underground journey for journeys originating in Edinburgh.
- Use of First Class lounges.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi in First Class seats.
- Fully refundable in the event of cancellation.
Trains vs planes
Flights to London accounted for 56 per cent of the University’s total air travel in 2014/2015, and 70 per cent of domestic flights.
Taking the train instead of flying could save around 0.5 per cent of total University emissions. Travelling more sustainably has the largest impact on an individual’s carbon emissions in the workplace.
University expenses data shows that train journeys were significantly cheaper than air fares in the past 3 years.
For more information contact Chris Litwiniuk: +44 (0)131 651 5589, firstname.lastname@example.org