Our studentships cover stipend, fees and research costs.
E4 DTP standard studentships
E4 DTP standard studentships are fully-funded for a minimum of 3.5 years. They include:
Stipend based on UKRI minima (currently £15,609 for 2021/2022)
- Fees (Home Fees or International Fees*)
- Research Costs (Standard Research Costs plus, depending on the projects requirements, Additional Research Costs can also be allocated)
The stipend can be extended to up to another 5 months through our two optional schemes (see our Programme Structure), subject to the approval of the Management Board.
NERC's expectation is that the thesis is submitted by the end of the funding (although the maximum submission date will be 4 years from the PhD start date).
All applicants should be aware of the standard living costs in Edinburgh before applying for the programme.
International Applicants: please note that visa's, IHS (Immigration Health Surcharge) and travel's costs cannot be covered by the E4 DTP. Applicants are advised to find out about these costs, together with the Visa application procedure, ahead of submitting their application, via our Student Immigration Service.
*The University of Edinburgh will cover the difference between Home and International fees for international students
E4 DTP CASE studentships
Some E4 DTP projects include a CASE partner and are therefore called "CASE studentships".
They include a CASE partner which is a non-academic organisation within the public, private or third sector. They support the studentship by:
- bringing expert advice and supervision throughout the PhD;
- providing a first-rate, challenging research training experience, within the context of a mutually beneficial research collaboration;
- contributing to the project budget (supplementing the Additional Research Costs);
- offering a placement at their premises to the student of between 3 and 18 months over the whole PhD.
You can read more about the amazing research activities and opportunities E3/E4 students have had during their PhD on our alumni profiles.