Home to an impressive collection of historical and anatomical specimens.
Founded and developed by the Monro dynasty, the museum flourished under Sir William Turner who was both Professor of Anatomy from 1867 to 1903 and Principal of the University from 1903 to 1917.
Today, the museum houses new items and old exhibits from the original museum including life and death masks, anatomy teaching models and the skeleton of notorious murderer William Burke.
The museum is open to the public on the last Saturday of each month from 10am to 4pm (last admission 3.30pm). The Anatomical Museum can be subject to closure at short notice, please check the Anatomy website for details of the next day the museum is open.
Please note that the museum is closed throughout June, July and December.
At other times the museum is a study space for medical students and there is no visitor access.
The museum is housed within the Medical School building on Teviot Place.
There are six flights of stairs up to the museum with a route that is well signposted.
A ramp allows access through Doorway 3 and the lift is through a second doorway on the right. Press button 3 for the Anatomical Museum.
There are two disabled parking spaces in the courtyard in front of the museum entrance at Doorway 3.