The Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies was founded in 1823 by William Dick
William Dick was an outstanding practitioner who made great strides in establishing veterinary education in Scotland. Besides setting up the School in 1823, he was appointed Veterinary Surgeon in Scotland to Queen Victoria in 1844.
By the time of his death in 1866, the 818 students he had taught were to be found throughout the world. Among them were the founders of veterinary schools in Glasgow, Liverpool, Ireland, Canada, the USA and Australia.
In the autumn of 1829 William Dick’s lectures were given in Clyde Street, probably in the old building at number 8. It was in Clyde Street that Dick first trained as a farrier at his father's forge.
This article was published on Nov 2, 2009