Islamic & Middle Eastern Studies PhD Scholarship
The Department of Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Edinburgh is delighted to invite applications for two PhD scholarships in any area within its expertise.
The scholarship will be funded by IMES and will cover UK tuition fees for the PhD in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies.
There are two PhD scholarships in the department of Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Edinburgh. Each covers UK tuition fees for the PhD in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies and an annual stipend. The awards are open to UK and overseas students starting the PhD in the academic year 2024-2025.
The Award will cover the UK level of tuition fee and an annual stipend in line with the UKRI (currently £18,662) and will be awarded for a maximum of three years, subject to satisfactory annual progress
The award is open to UK and Overseas students commencing a PhD degree in the academic year 2024-2025. However, only the UK tuition fee will be covered by the award, successful Overseas applicants will be liable for the difference between the UK and Overseas fees rates.
Only applications to year one of the PhD programme of study will be considered.
Among the areas of supervision we cover are:
- Language and literature: classical and modern Arabic literature; classical Persian literature; cultural transmission and translation between Arabic and Persian cultures
- Arts and cultures of the Middle East and Muslim societies; contemporary Arab media
- History and historiography: pre-Islamic Iran, early Islamic history, Ottoman history, modern history and politics, in particular Iraq, Iran, and Egypt.
- Early and classical Islam, Qur’an and tafsir, hadith, the biography of Muhammad; Sufism; Islam in the Ottoman Empire
- Islam and Muslims in Europe; Christian-Muslim relations
- Shi’ism: Shi’i history and contemporary Shi’ism
- Contemporary Muslim politics: Islamism, social movements, comparative social and political change in the Muslim world
The application deadline for 2024 entry is: Monday 6th May 2024.
In order to apply for this scholarship you must have applied for the PhD Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies programme. Find out more about the Islamic & Middle Eastern Studies PhD programme here.
Once you have completed your programme application, please complete the below form:
Successful applicants will be advised by the end of June 2024.
Informal enquiries about the PhD programme and the scholarship are welcome and should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org