Tier 4 visa requirements
When applying for a Tier 4 visa, you’ll need original copies of documents, including your passport and evidence of qualifications and finances.
- your original, valid passport
- one passport-sized photograph which meets the UKVI requirements (please note not all visa application centres will require this)
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
- evidence of English language proficiency
- financial requirements*
- evidence of qualifications*
Applicants from certain countries and courses
You can download a checklist of the documents required for the Tier 4 visa below.
*Low risk nationals
The Home Office considers some nationalities as 'low risk'.
If you are a low risk national you do not need to send official original points-scoring evidence (financial and educational qualification documents) with your
You will need to sign a declaration in the Tier 4 visa application form to state that you have the necessary evidence available to you. Even if you are a low risk national, we strongly recommend that you obtain points-scoring evidence. This is because the Home Office can request it as part of their decision process and they will refuse your application if you are unable to provide it within their specified timeframe.
You will still have to send your original passport, photographs and other relevant documents.
Tier 4 Pilot Scheme for masters students
The University of Edinburgh has been selected as one of 23 universities in the UK to take part in a scheme which streamlines the visa application process for certain masters degree students.
If you are applying to study a full-time masters programme starting in or after September 2018, which lasts for no more than 13 months, you are eligible for the streamlined service.
The service allows you to:
- Stay in the UK for 6 months after your programme has ended
- Submit fewer documents with your application (you will submit the same documents as a low-risk national - i.e. you do not need to submit evidence of your qualifications or finances)