Student Immigration Service

Tier 4 visa

If you are a non-EU/EEA/Swiss national, and you will come to the UK to study a full-time programme for more than six months, or extending your stay to complete your studies, you will need to apply for a Tier 4 visa. You will also need to apply for a Tier 4 visa if you wish to do a work placement as part of your studies, or look for a part time job.

Tier 4 visa requirements

When applying for a Tier 4 visa, you’ll need a number of documents, including your passport and evidence of qualifications and finances.

Applying for a Tier 4 visa

How to apply for a Tier 4 visa from inside or outside the UK

Time limits on study and academic progression

If you have previously studied in the UK with a Tier 4 visa, there are additional factors you need to consider before submitting your application.

Immigration Health Surcharge

The Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) has been introduced to help fund the National Health Service (NHS), and will give migrants the same access to the NHS as UK citizens.