Student Immigration Service

Student (previously Tier 4) visa

If you are a non-UK or Irish national coming to the UK to study a full-time programme for more than 6 months, you will need to apply for a Student visa. You will also need to apply for a Student visa if you want to do a work placement as part of your programme or look for a part-time job while you are studying.

Student visa requirements and documents

You will need to meet certain requirements to study in the UK and show evidence you meet these. What you need to show depends on a variety of factors, including your nationality, where you live, what you study and where you make your application.

Applying for a Student visa

Find out how to make a Student visa application from your country of nationality or from the UK.

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

Find out how to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), how to check it, what to do if you find an error in your BRP and what to do if your BRP is lost or stolen.

Digital Immigration Status (eVisa)

If you have been granted a digital immigration status (eVisa) by UKVI, this page provides you with information on how to provide evidence when required and how to fix any problems with your visa.

Time limits on study and academic progression

A Student visa comes with certain conditions, including how long you can study at undergraduate level, and what kind of programme you can progress to.