Student Immigration Service

Applying for a visa

Important information on applying for a visa to study at the University of Edinburgh.

Do I need a visa?

A student outside McEwan Hall
Find out whether you need to secure immigration permission to study in the UK.

Student Route (previously Tier 4) visa

Students on Calton Hill
If you are a non-UK national and your main reason for coming to the UK is to study a full-time programme for more than six months, you will need to apply for a Student visa. You will also need to apply for a Student visa if you wish extend your stay to complete your studies, to do a work placement as part of your programme, or look for a part time job whilst you are studying.

Standard Visitor

If you are applying for UK immigration permission on or after 1 December 2020 (1 January 2021 if you are an EU national), and you will study for less than 6 months, you should apply as a Standard Visitor.

Short term student visa

A visa and a passport
The short term student visa is for students who are English language programmes of up to 11 months.

Hong Kong BN(O) visa

Court news
General information about the route to settlement in the UK for British Nationals Overseas

Your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

Important information on your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP): what it is, how you will receive it, and what to do if you notice a mistake.

Visa refusals

Student and staff member reading
If your visa application is refused, it is important that you get in contact with us straight away.