Selected conferences, lectures, film screenings, exhibitions, and workshops 2012-2019.
In 2019, DELC took the decision to run some events and seminars under the wider banner of 'European Languages' in order to foster interdisciplinarity and comparative approaches. Unlike language-specific events, the DELC Research Seminars are run in English and are open to staff and students in all disciplines.
You can find a selection of past events and seminars below.
- 5th October 2018 - 'Cultural Learning in Interaction: Researching meaning-making processes in the foreign language classroom'. Julia Feike (University of Edinburgh).
- 2nd November 2018 - 'Racing Back to the Future: Rosmer/Bernstein’s Neo-Classical Tragedies'. Robert Gillett (QMUL).
- 21 November 2018 - 'How German philosophy won the First World War: An Introduction to Viscount Haldane'. Richard McLauchlan (Independent Scholar).
- 30th January 2019 - 'German “Provincialism”, the World and Saša Stanišić’s Vor dem Fest'. Frauke Matthes (University of Edinburgh).
- 28th February 2019 - 'Die Waffen nieder!: Bertha von Suttner as Novelist and Peace Activist'. Barbara Burns (University of Glasgow).
- 27th March 2019 - 'Drama in the World: A.W. Schlegel, Walter Scott, and Two Takes on Theatre History'. Michael Wood (University of Edinburgh).
- 3rd November 2017 - 'Digitally Distributing Liveness: Three case studies from the Berliner Theatertreffen (2017)'. Katie Hawthorne (University of Edinburgh).
- 1st December 2017 - 'The Disappearance of the Subject in Writing: The Essay Film Beyond Auteurism'. Dr Angelos Koutsourakis (University of Leeds).
- 2nd February 2018 - 'The history of learning and teaching German (and other modern languages) in Britain, 1500-2000'. Professor Nicola McClelland (University of Nottingham).
- 23rd March 2018 - 'Emil Nolde: Landscapes of Loss'. Frances Blythe (University of Edinburgh).
- 12th - 16th November 2018 - 'Nordic Literature Week: Scotland'. A celebration of Nordic literature with themed social reading challenges designed for sharing online every day.
- 20th November 2018 - 'Allsång, Abba och annat!'. DELC Festive Showcase.
- 25th September 2019 - ''George Marwick’s Orcadian Account of ‘The Muckle Tree or Igasill’: Folklore or Literature?' by Professor Terry Gunnell'. Professor Terry Gunnell (University of Iceland).
- 12th November 2019 - 'Nordic Literature Week in Scotland: Scandinavian Stories & Hygge'. Listen to some stories from Scandinavia.
- 22nd October 2019 - 'Nordic Branding and The Reception of the Nordic Model Abroad'. Two day conference will address perceptions and issues of 'The Nordic' and the 'Nordic model'.
- 30th Jauary 2018 - 'Screening Privilege: Global Injustice and Responsibility in 21st Century Scandinavian Film and Media'. Julianne Yang (University of Oslo).
- 23rd January 2018 - 'Migrants in Scandinavian literature'. Anja Tröger (University of Edinburgh).
- 7th February 2018 - 'Dalastugor: Creating Images of Belonging through Diasporic Touch in Nordic Art'. Sara Davies (University of Manchester).
- 23rd April 2018 - 'Swords from the Pagan Norse Graves of Scotland'. Caroline Paterson (University of Stirling).
- 30th April 2018 - 'Natural Disasters as Triggers: The Danish Assault on Frisia in AD 810'. Dan Haycraft (University of Edinburgh).
- 28th September 2016 - 'Seminar: The Cinema of Ruben Östlund'. Mathias Korsgaard (Aarhus University).
- 7th October 2016 - 'Negotiating Nations 1: Enchanting Nations'. Anna Bohlin and Caroline Haux (Stockholm University).
- 7th October 2016 - 'Negotiating Nations 2: Press Freedom'. Speakers include Helena Jäderblom (a Swedish judge at the European Court of Human Rights), Dr Jonas Nordin (Docent at the National Library of Sweden), Dr David Goldberg (Coordinator of Project Forsskål), with Peter Graves and Ian Giles (University of Edinburgh).
- 19th Octover 2016 - 'Seminar: Place-Names in Western Iceland and Eastern Lewis'. Geir Eysteinsson. 2nd November 2016 - 'Seminar: Decadence and the North'. Marja Lahelma (University of Helsinki).
- 9th November 2016 - 'Seminar: Nordic Italies'. Elettra Carbone (University College London).
- 16th November 2016 - 'Seminar: The Forbes Family in Swedish Service'. Kathrin Zickermann (University of the Highlands and Islands).
- 23rd November 2016 - 'Seminar: At the Crossroads'. Marika Mägi (Tallinn University).
- 30th November 2016 - 'Seminar: Ruben Östlund and Multiculturalism'. Kate Moffat (University of Stirling).
- 7th December 2016 - 'Seminar: Heaven and Hell in Old Norse Literature'. Haki Antonsson (University College London).
- 25th January 2017 - 'Seminar: The Finnish Workplace'. Saku Tihveräinen (University of Helsinki/University of Edinburgh).
- 4th December 2017 - '100 Years of Finnish Independence: Mistä? Missä? Mihin?'. A Showcase of Finnish-Scottish Relations, Readings and Research.
- 22nd March 2016 - 'Modern Literature Seminar'. Barbara Tesio and Anja Tröger (University of Edinburgh).
- 20th April 2016 - 'Viking Seminar'. Chris Cooijmans (University of Edinburgh).
- 30th March 2016 - 'Seminar: Nordic Noir'. Mia Österlund (Åbo Akademi University).
- 29th March 2016 - 'Seminar: What’s Up On The Glitter Scene?'. Mia Österlund (Åbo Akademi University).
- 16th March 2016 - 'Seminar: Naming, Society and Power'. Guy Puzey (University of Edinburgh).
- 9th March 2016 - 'Comparative Literature Seminar'. Ida Hummel Gabrielsen and Laura Chapot (University of Edinburgh).
- 2nd March 2016 - 'Linguistics Seminar'. Jade Jørgen Sanstead and Ruairidh Tarvet (University of Edinburgh).
- 24th February 2016 - 'Seminar: Nordic Cinema? – Industrial Practice and Marketplace Realities'. Pietari Kääpä (University of Stirling).
- 11th February 2016 - 'Seminar: The Significance of Erik Werenskiold’s Painting ‘A Peasant Burial'. Jan Cox (University of Leeds).
- 2nd February 2016 - 'Seminar: Vikings Beyond Boundaries'. Judith Jesch (University of Nottingham).
- 15th January 2016 - 'Seminar: ‘Historical Truth’ or Mythical Construction?'. Lin Marte Heggem (University of Edinburgh).
- 25th November 2015 - 'Book launch and lecture: The Vikings in Islay'. Dr Alan Macniven.
- 16th November 2019 - 'Jornadas de Español en Edimburgo: Español en Andalucía'. A professional development event for Spanish teachers.
- 8th October 2019 - '“Teatro político y comprometido en Argentina” by Professor Fernando Operé'. Professor Fernando Operé (University of Virginia, USA).
- 21st October 2019 - '"Nation Through Landscape: Rodrigo Rey Rosa's Use of Environmental Themes in Lo que soñó Sebastián" by Professor Stephen Henighan'. Professor Stephen Henighan (University of Guelph, Canada).
- 4th - 12th October 2019 - 'Edinburgh Spanish Film Festival 2019'.
- 1st June 2019 - '¡Viva Chile!'. ESFF's second fundraiser of 2019.
- 5th - 6th September 2019 - 'Transnational Perspectives on the Study of Spanish in Society'. The IX International Conference of Hispanic Linguistics and VII Biennial Meeting of the International Association for the Study of Spanish in Society.
- 13th - 14th June 2019 - 'ELE-UK 2019: Research and Practice in Spanish Language Teaching'.
- 23rd April 2019 - 'SPLAS Seminar Series: María Ángeles Pérez López'. Professor María Ángeles Pérez López (Universidad de Salamanca).
- 5th April - 29th June 2019 - 'Conectando: Scottish Encounters with Spanish & Portuguese'. An exhibition celebrating 100 years of the Spanish Degree at the University of Edinburgh.
- 27th March 2019 - 'SPLAS Seminar Series: Bárbara Fernández Melleda'. Dr Bárbara Fernández Melleda (University of Edinburgh).
- 4th March 2019 - 'Are you ready to catch the Basque wave?'. Basque taster session.
- 12th February 2019 - 'SPLAS Seminar Series: Cinema of/as Garbage workshop with Luz Horne'. Instituto Camões and CCLAS in conjunction with Film Studies.
- 28th November 2018 - 'The Cunninghame Graham Lecture 2017: Carlos Zanón'.
- 28th November 2018 - 'Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies (SPLAS) Christmas get together'. DELC Festive Showcase.
- 13th November 2018 - 'SPLAS Seminar Series: Maite Conde'. Dr Maite Conde (University of Cambridge).
- 20th November 2018 - 'SPLAS Seminar Series: Beatriz Caballero Rodriguez'. Dr Beatriz Caballero Rodriguez (University of Strathclyde).
- 19th June 2018 - '¡Hecho en México! Teaching Spanish the Mexican Way'. CPD seminar for Spanish language teachers.
- 28th May 2018 - 'Inaugural Lectures: Alexis Grohmann'. Alexis Grohmann (Chair of Contemporary Spanish Literature).
- 27th February - 1st March 2018 - 'The Spanish Play 2018: Bodas de Sangre'. A landmark Spanish play produced, directed and performed, in Spanish, by students.
- 31st October 2017 - 'The Cunninghame Graham Lecture 2017: Carlos Zanón'. Carlos Zanón (poet).
- 30th October 2017 - 'Dos renovadores de la escritura del ‘yo’: Carmen Martín Gaite y Rosa Montero'. Professor José María Pozuelo Yvancos (University of Murcia).
- 27th January 2017 - 'I Am Tango. Biography of María Nieves'. Elaine Newton-Bruzza (screening).
- 18th October 2016 - 'Diálogo entre escritores'. Paula Varsavsky and Carlos Gamerro (writers).
- 30th September 2016 - 'Tango Negro - The African roots of Tango'. (screening).
- 7th - 11th March 2016 - 'Spanish Play: 'Maribel y la extraña familia'. Various students.
- 18th - 20th March 2015 - 'Spanish play 2015 - Enseñar a un ERASMUS'. Various students.
- 23rd May 2013 - 'La defensa de los indios en dos filósofos novohispanos'. Caribbean and Latin American Research at Edinburgh (CLARE).
- 6th - 8th March 2013 - 'El Florido Pensil'. Basque group Tanttaka.
- 2013 series - 'One Region, Many Peoples'. Various events on race in Latin America.
- 30th January 2013 - 'Seminar: An Early American Diaspora'. Dr Dodds Pennock.
- 2013 - 'Spanish play 2013 - El Florido Pensil'.
- 2012 - 'Spanish play 2012 - Bajarse al moro'.
- 20th September 2019 - 'French and Francophone Futures'. A one-day AUPHF workshop.
- 22nd March 2019 - 'The French Play 2019: Les Femmes Savantes'. Les Escogriffes, the French Theatre Society at the University of Edinburgh.
- 22nd March 2019 - 'Suite Armoricaine: screening and Q&A'. Pascale Breton (Director) and Manon Evenat (Actress).
- 23rd March 2019 - 'Conversation with Pascale Breton'. Pascale Breton (Director).
- 15th January 2019 - 'French 'Galette de Rois'. DELC Festive Showcase.
- 29th - 20th March 2019 - 'The French Play 2018: Victor ou les enfants au pouvoir!'. Les Escogriffes, Edinburgh's student French Theatre Society.
- 22nd November 2017 - 'Settlement, treatment and employment of French-speaking Belgian refugees in France, the Netherlands, England and Scotland'. Dr Christophe Declercq (University College London).
- 7th November 2017 - 'Civil Disobedience and Democracy'. Professor Sandra Laugier (Paris Sorbonne).
- 20th March 2017 - 'French Research Seminar: Bernard Stiegler’s Automatic Politics'. Pr. Martin Crowley (Cambridge).
- 8th March 2017 - 'French Research Seminar: 'Tot ot escrit an la cortine': Reconstructing Female Voice and Identity from the Literary Clothwork of Old French Romance'. Morgan Boharski (Edinburgh).
- 15th February 2017 - 'French Research Seminar: La campagne référendaire de 2014 vue de la France'. Pr. Didier Revest (Nice).
- 21st October 2016 - 'Marketing your French degree'. Joanne Fairweather (Careers service).
- 30th September 2016 - 'Workshop: ‘Film, A Plastic Art'. The second of a series of workshops organised by the AHRC-funded Research Network ‘Film and the Other Arts: Intermediality, Medium Specificity, Creativity’.
- 17th May 2016 - 'Seminar: Narrating Trauma in French Women’s Writing of the Extreme Contemporary'. Professor Barbara Havercroft (Toronto University).
- 24th February 2016 - 'Seminar: Imagining Brussels: Diasporic Writing and the Transnational Urban Space'. Sarah Arens (University of Edinburgh).
- 20th January 2016 - 'Seminar: 'Elles ne savent pas ce qu'elles disent, c'est toute la différence entre elles et moi: Lacan et les féministes'. Benedicte Coste (Dijon).
- 25th September 2019 - 'Inaugural Lectures: Liquid Russian'. Larissa Ryazanova-Clarke (Institute of Linguists).
- 30th May 2019 - 'Russia and Europe: Linguistic and Cultural Encounters'. Alexandra Smith and Angelos Theocharis (University of Edinburgh).
- 18th March 2018 - 'The Russian Play 2018: The Woman Question'. Dashkova Centre and the University of Edinburgh.
- 24th January 2018 - 'Retranslations of Literature: the Case Study of six English translations of Mikhail Bulgakov’s The Master and Margarita'. Dr Natalia Kaloh Vid (University of Maribor).
- 22nd January 2018 - 'Translations of Robert Burns into Russian: from the Nineteenth to the Twenty-First Century'. Dr Natalia Kaloh Vid (University of Maribor).
- 27th November 2017 - 'The Pavlovian discourse of species in Soviet literature and film in the 1930s'. Professor Henrietta Mondry (University of Canterbury).
- 17th May 2017 - 'Robert Burness - Vladimir Nabokov’s English Tutor'. Gavriel Shapiro (Cornell University).
- 1st February 2013 - 'Word and Image in Russian Contexts'. Talbot Rice Gallery.
- 24th - 25th January 2013 - 'Global Russian: Exploring New Research Perspectives'. The Princess Dashkova Centre.
- 4th November 2012 - 'Russian Film Festival 2012'. The Princess Dashkova Centre.
Conferences and symposia
Lectures and talks
Film screenings and festivals
Exhibitions, workshops and performances