Career case studies
Understanding how other researchers have developed their careers may inform the planning of your own career goals.
Academic career journeys at Edinburgh
Video and text case studies from PhD students, research staff, lecturers and Heads of School across all three Colleges at the University of Edinburgh showing the challenges and rewards of an academic career, and what can aid career progression.
A series of short interviews providing guidance on how to advance your career and move into other sectors:
Career Conversations: Dr Sara Shinton Part 1
Dr Sara Shinton discusses how she moved from a physical chemistry postdoc into career services.
- Video: Sara Shinton Career Conversations Part 1
- Video on career changes aimed at UoE research staff with Dr Sara Shinton, IAD
Career Conversations: Dr Sara Shinton Part 2
Dr Sara Shinton discusses how she moved from running her own consultancy into researcher development.
- Video: Sara Shinton Career Conversations Part 2
- Short video aimed at UoE research staff - Dr Sara Shinton discusses moving into the field of researcher development.
Career Conversations: Dr Emily Woollen
Dr Emily Woollen discusses how she moved from a fixed-term research contract to academic development.
- Video: Dr Emily Woollen Career Conversations
- Dr Emily Woollen short video aimed at UoE researchers - moving from a fixed term research post to academic development.
Career Conversations: Dr Caroline Proctor
Dr Caroline Proctor discusses how she moved from research in medical history to managing the administration of the School of Biological Sciences' Postgraduate Research Programmes.
- Video: Dr Caroline Proctor Career Conversations
- Dr Caroline Proctor short video aimed at UoE Researchers - moving from medical history research into administrative management
Career Conversations: Dr Katrina Castle
Dr Katrina Castle discusses her move from conducting research in agricultural microbiology to becoming Head of Strategic Partnerships and Transitions
- Video: Dr Katrina Castle Career Conversations
- Dr Katrina Castle short video aimed at UoE researchers - career change advice
Career Conversations: Dr Fran Baseby
Dr Francesca Baseby discusses moving from a PhD in Art History to become Service Manager in the Centre for Research Collections.
- Video: Dr Fran Baseby Career Conversations
- Dr Francesca Baseby short video aimed at UoE researcher - career change advice
Many universities, professional bodies and networks have developed banks of case studies to help researchers see the wide range of career paths they can move into and to share insights from people who have made successful transitions.
Though your own career path will be unique, hopefully you will find ideas and inspiration from reading about others.
It can be useful to understand the barriers others have faced, how they have approached and overcome potential problems, and the sources of support they drew upon.