Getting to know PebblePad
This page provides more detail on some of PebblePad's unique tools which are in use across the University
PebblePad helps users to create, compile and present a purposeful collection of information and digitalised artefacts that demonstrates progress or evidences learning outcomes, skills or competencies.
PebblePad has been developed by Pebble Learning, a company born in a University context that has been looking at how the processes of assessment and feedback take place in a digital environment. PebblePad follows a user-centred approach which supports the creation of personal tutoring spaces in which students can collect and share evidence of progress with their tutors.
Here are the main advantages of using PebblePad as a digital portfolio:
- Personalised feedback: It is possible to provide personalised feedback that engages students and improves performance and retention.
- Versatility: PebblePad supports many different types of online interactions between students and tutors so that assessment and feedback processes can be built as a two-way dialogue in which students can also reply to their tutor's feedback.
- Flexibility: Students can record evidence of learning in different digital formats and can easily shared that evidence with peers and tutors.
- Creativity: PebblePad supports different types of assessment, including multimedia assessment, in addition to the traditional assessment methods based on written essays.
How PebblePad works
PebblePad consists of two components:
Pebble+ can be described as online personal learning space in which users can created different types of digital artefacts (e.g. blogs, files, webfolios, etc.), grouping those artefacts into collections to be shared with peers and tutors.
ATLAS is the online space that supports institutional teaching, learning and assessment. As a tutor, you can use ATLAS to design assessment workflows in which you will assess and provide feedback to the collections of artefacts submitted by your students.
As a tutor, you can create custom resources for learners to use and submit for your feedback. You can promote continual engagement from learners by releasing new content at set times. Learners’ additions and changes will filter through to you until the date and time you choose. You can manage learner submissions, run similarity checks, and give feedback, all through PebblePad. And it’s really flexible: you can set it up to allow learners to view (and comment) on each other’s work, if you choose.
Who is already using PebblePad?
PebblePad is widely used accross different schools and programmes. Some of our main users are:
- Business School
- Careers Service
- Centre for Open Learning
- Medical School
- School of Biological sciences
- School of Education
- School of Law
- Student-Led Individually-Created Courses (SLICCs)
- The Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies
Visit the "Help and support" section for more information on how to start using PebblePad.