Academic Blogging Service
Explore ways for you to use blogging at the University of Edinburgh by learning more about our Academic Blogging Service.
Our new Academic Blogging Service builds upon existing blogging practices and technology in use around the University and also includes a new blogging platform - blogs.ed.ac.uk. Information and guidance for all of our blogging tools are available via the navigation below.
We've added new functionality!
From noon on the 12th of November 2018, we've added some new things to blogs.ed.ac.uk. These include:
- New themes
- Akismet Anti-Spam
- QuickLaTeX - a LaTeX plugin
- A Twitter Widget (which doesn't set cookies)
- A Flickr Album Gallery plugin
- Some minor updates/bug-fixes.
This new WordPress platform will allow staff and research postgraduates to create a blog using an online form. You’ll be able to use this blogging service for a number of purposes:
- Developing a School, departmental, unit or other community blog.
- Developing your own personal blog – to promote your research or to give you a place to reflect on ideas.
- Using blogs for teaching, learning and/or assessment purposes.
The service will allow WordPress blogs to be easily created either standalone or via your preferred VLE. To keep it easy to use and secure, a limited collection of plugins and themes will be made available, but these should suit the majority of users.
Undergraduate and taught postgraduate students will be directed to an appropriate academic where a blog is required for learning.
Introduction to blogging
Help and support
Blogging for staff
Blogging for students
Keep in touch!
Please sign up for our mailing lists if you want to be kept up-to-date with service news. We have a mailing list which will be used to send out information about the service as a whole, including announcements about new training and documentation, down-time, service improvements and information about any related events.
- Subscribe to the mailing list - you'll need to log-in with EASE. Click on the 'Subscribe' link and submit your email address.
- Unsubscribe from the mailing list - you'll need to log-in with EASE.
If you have any problems or need to get in touch, please contact the Helpline.