Find out more about the Network Replacement Project and the benefits it will bring to the University community.
The Network Replacement Project is one of the University’s biggest investments into IT infrastructure and it will implement a new and improved network. It will ensure that the University has a responsive, reliable and flexible network capable of adapting to changing student and staff needs as technology develops over the next 10-15 years.
The project will contribute significantly to:
- Improving the student experience in terms of teaching and learning, and accommodation facilities
- Creating a stable and secure network that allows for future expansion and new technology
- Enhancing security for the University and all of its users
- Providing a better service for staff
The University has procured hardware, software and services to replace the majority of its data network infrastructure, including the current ResNet network which services the University's residential estate operated by Accommodation, Catering and Events (ACE).
The implementation was expected to be 24 months from award of contract, however the impact of Covid-19 has meant the project has experienced some delays and is now expected to complete late 2023/early 2024. The scope of the project includes replacement of the following:-
- Central Technologies (border, core, distribution and edge layer infrastructure)
- Wireless LAN (WLAN) infrastructure
- Perimeter and internal firewalls
- Network Security Controls
- Network Management and Monitoring Systems
- Maintenance & support services
Other components of the data network infrastructure (including guest wireless facilities and additional network security controls) may also be incorporated over the course of the initial 5 year term of contract where additional service advantage is achieved.
This project will impact all areas of the University and will be planned and managed to minimise disruption to staff, students and services during the implementation period, and regular communications will be carried out to ensure everyone is well informed.