Study abroad in Edinburgh

Una Europa

Eleven leading European research universities have come together to create a unique alliance – Una Europa. Una Europa aims to draw on our collective strengths to create a truly European inter-university environment, a University of the Future.

A key pillar of Una Europa's vision for the European University of the Future is truly joint Bachelor degrees.

Together, we have built fully integrated curricula and degree awarding Una Europa partners will jointly award the degrees. This means that on successful completion of their studies, students will receive one single degree document that is officially recognised by the countries in which the degree awarding Una Europa partners are active. 

We are pleased to announce that the University of Edinburgh is a mobility partner in the recently launched Joint Bachelor's in European Studies.  


Una Europa logo and UoE logo side by side

Joint Bachelor's in European Studies 

As one of the participating universities within the Una Europa alliance, the University of Edinburgh is a mobility partner for the Joint Bachelor's degree in European Studies. This means we are offering the opportunity for students from participating partner universities on the Joint Bachelor's programme to study with us at the University of Edinburgh.  

Students on this programme will be able to choose from selected courses in the following schools at the University of Edinburgh:  

  • School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures 

  • School of Social and Political Science  

  • Edinburgh Futures Institute.  

About Una Europa

a map showing the locations of Una Europa universities

Our universities have been educating Europe for over 1,000 years. Together, we teach over 500,000 students and count almost 100,000 university staff among our network, with digital learners numbering in the millions.

Una Europa partner universities include (participating partners in the Joint Bachelor's in European Studies in bold) Freie Universität Berlin, Alma Mater Studiorum Università di Bologna, Helsingin yliopisto/Helsingfors universitet, Uniwersytet Jagielloński w Krakowie, Universiteit Leiden, KU Leuven, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, University College Dublin and Universität Zürich alongside the University of Edinburgh. For further information about the alliance, please visit the Una Europa website.

* The courses listed are currently showing for the 2022-23 academic year on the course catalogue web links and until Summer 2023, we won’t yet have the updated web links for 2023-24 This course list will be updated closer to the time of students’ arrival in January 2024.

* Due to an exceptional change of circumstances, regrettably, we are unable to provide a list of courses for the School of Law at this time, but we hope to have our Law offering for a minor in a years’ time. 

What can I study?

Entry requirements

To apply, you must:

  • Be nominated by your home university to study on an exchange agreement
  • Have completed a minimum of one full year of studies at your home institution*
  • Have achieved a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or over on a 4.0 scale OR equivalent (B average) OR ECTS ‘C’ at your home university
  • Provide a strong personal statement
  • Provide evidence of your written and spoken English skills if English is not your first language (please see below for further information)

Nominated exchange students are not required to submit a reference at the time of application. However, both College Visiting Student Offices reserve the right to request a reference from an exchange applicant at any point during the application period.

*Applicants to the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences will be required to provide a transcript at the point of application demonstrating they have completed a minimum of one full year of study at their home institution. Where one full year has not yet been completed, study at a previous institution will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Applicants to the College of Science and Engineering will be required to provide a transcript demonstrating that they have completed 1 semester of study.

English language requirements

You may be required to provide us with evidence of your English language ability if you are not from a majority English speaking country, and:

  1. You will study with us on a Student Route visa or/and;
  2. You wish to take 3rd or 4th year level courses outside the subject area of your exchange agreement (only applies to courses in the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences).

The qualifications we accept meet both our minimum English language proficiency requirements and the minimum standards for Student route visas.  Your English language qualification must be no more than three and a half years old from the start date of the programme you are applying to study, unless you are using IELTS, TOEFL, Trinity ISE, or PTE Academic (Pearsons) in which case it must be no more than two years old:

Must be no more than two years old

  • IELTS (Academic module) – overall 6.5 with 5.5 in each component 
  • TOEFL iBT (including Special Home Edition) – 92 or above with 20 in each section
  • Trinity ISE –  ISE II (distinction all components) / ISE III (pass all components)
  • PTE Academic (Pearsons) – overall 62 with 54 in each component

 Must be no more than three and a half years old

  • Cambridge CAE/CPE – 176 overall (162 component), grade A-C
  • The additional qualifications as listed on our central English Language requirements website

If you wish to take 3rd/4th year (Level 10) courses in the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences you will be required to demonstrate a slightly higher level of English language ability, as these courses require an advanced capability to express ideas and arguments clearly in writing. Please contact the Visiting Student Office directly for further information about the relevant scores required to request enrolment in Level 10 courses (

The above English language requirements may not apply if you are studying at an institution approved by the University of Edinburgh where English is the medium of teaching.