Research Experience Placements (REPs)
Research Experience Placement is a summer placement scheme funded by NERC, aimed at undergraduate students from quantitative disciplines outside of NERC’s remit and who would like to experience research in Environmental Sciences.
Placement Details, Funding and Reporting
- We have 3 REPs available for Summer 2020.
- Placements duration is 6 weeks over the summer vacation period (mid-June to the end of August). They include 4 days of annual leave which will have to be taken in agreement with the project supervisor.
- Placements are paid at the University grade UE03 (£345.45 per week).
- The student and the project supervisor at the host organisation will be required to complete a brief online report on the outcome of the placement at the end of the placement (see the previous' years report template below)
Eligibility of students
Students must meet ALL of the following criteria to be eligible to apply for a REP. The students must:
- Be studying for an undergraduate degree in a quantitative discipline outside of NERC’s scientific remit (e.g. mathematics, statistics, computing, engineering, physics).
- Be applying for a placement in a different department to their undergraduate degree.
- Be undertaking their first undergraduate degree studies (or integrated Masters).
- Be expected to obtain a first or upper second class UK honours degree.
- Be eligible for subsequent NERC PhD funding (i.e. UK/EU citizens or non-EU citizens who have obtained the right to remain in the UK - known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’- and who - ALL- have been living in the UK for minimum the past 3 years).
Applications for the summer REPs 2020 will open 20 March 2020 with deadline 29 April 2020. Successful applicants will be notifed by 22 May 2020.
In order to be considered for a placement, please apply via the Career Hub (link below), providing the below documents:
- A cover letter detailing your motivation to apply for the REP scheme and stating which project you would like to be considered for and why (available projects below)
- A recent CV
- A reference from your Personal Tutor
- An interim transcript if available
Available Research Projects
Available projects will be posted here by 20 March 2020.