What we do
The University of Edinburgh provides a free confidential counselling service for all members of staff.
Short term counselling
The Staff Counselling Service offers short term counselling. The service offers the opportunity to discuss a problem or situation which is causing you concern or distress either at work or at home.
Counselling aims to look at all aspects of a problem in order to find better ways of managing personal development.
The University Staff Counsellors are all qualified and highly experienced practitioners. They are accredited members of the British Association for Counselling Psychotherapy (BACP) or are actively working towards their accreditation and they abide by the ethical guidelines of the professional body. Details of the ethical framework can be found on the website:
As an in-house counselling service
- staff counsellors have a wide ranging experience of the University of Edinburgh, it’s staff, and the issues impacting on staff mental health wellbeing in the context of working for the University
- Our counsellors are well informed as to the range of supports available to staff within the University and in the Edinburgh area
- The service is based at Moray House Lodge (Holyrood Campus) and offers counselling in-person, and by video and telephone
- The Staff Counselling Service is part of Service Accredited by the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy. BACP Service accreditation is a recognised quality standard for organisations providing counselling and psychotherapy services. Service accreditation demonstrates that we offer an accountable, ethical, professional and responsive service to clients, staff, and stakeholders.https://www.bacp.co.uk/membership/organisational-membership/service-accreditation/
- We are organisational members of BACP Workplace which promotes and supports the professional practice of counselling in the workplace, and practitioners who have clients experiencing workplace concerns, the psychological and emotional aspects of health at work, the provision of counselling in the workplace, or workplace related issues https://www.bacp.co.uk/bacp-divisions/bacp-workplace/