Profiles of research group members
Helen grew up in Canada and studied mostly maths before drifting further and further into biology. She continues to juggle modelling and experiments since starting her research group at the University of Edinburgh in 2019. When not at work, she enjoys climbing, hiking, mountaineering, cycling, and generally running around outdoors.
- 2004-08: BSc (Hon) Applied Mathematics, Minor in Medical Sciences - University of Western Ontario, Canada (Honours thesis advised by Prof. Lindi Wahl)
- 2008-10: MSc Mathematics - Queen's University, Canada (advised by Prof. Troy Day)
- 2010-14: PhD Theoretical Biology - ETH Zurich, Switzerland (advised by Prof. Sebastian Bonhoeffer)
- 2015-16: postdoc in Theoretical Biology - ETH Zurich
- 2016-19: Swiss National Science Foundation postdoctoral fellow - Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, UK (advised by Prof. Craig MacLean)
- since 2019: Royal Society University Research Fellow - School of Biological Sciences, University of Edinburgh
Pierre is a PhD student funded by a Darwin Trust scholarship. His PhD research involves modelling antibiotic resistance evolution in bacteria interacting in a shared environment, co-supervised by Dr. Luke McNally.
Pierre grew up in France where he studied Ecology & Evolution with a later specialisation in applied statistics and computer modelling. Most of his free time is divided between playing music and enjoying the outside world, hiking and birdwatching.
- 2008-2010: University degree in Arabic Language, Literature & Civilisation - Université Aix-Marseille III, France
- 2014-2017: BSc Biology of Organisms, Populations & Ecosystems - Université Paul Sabatier, Toulouse, France
- 2017-2019: MSc Biology Ecology & Evolution, Ecological Systems Modelling - Université Paul Sabatier, Toulouse, France (Master's Thesis supervised by Prof. Jean-Baptiste Ferdy & David Duneau)
- since 2020: PhD Evolutionary Biology, Immunology and Infection Research - School of Biological Sciences, University of Edinburgh
Lucy is a PhD student in the EASTBIO doctoral training program, funded by a University of Edinburgh Principal's Career Development Scholarship. Her PhD research investigates how mutation rates vary in bacteria and the consequences of this variation for bacterial evolution. Her PhD is co-supervised by Prof. Meriem El Karoui from the Institute of Cell Biology.
- 2013-2016: BSc Physics, University of Cologne, Germany (advised by Prof. Johannes Berg)
- 2016-2018: MSc Physics, University of Cologne, Germany (advised by Prof. Joachim Krug)
- 2012-2020: BSc Mathematics, University of Cologne, Germany (advised by Prof. Alexander Drewitz)
- 2019-2020: Research Assistant, Institute for Biological Physics, University of Cologne, Germany (advised by Prof. Joachim Krug)
- 2020: Research Intern, Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência, Oeiras, Portugal (advised by Prof. Claudia Bank)
- since 2020: PhD Evolutionary Biology, School of Biological Sciences, University of Edinburgh