Introduction to our College
We have an international reputation as an academic powerhouse within the arts, humanities and social sciences – that is well connected to global networks of scholars and attracts significant numbers of top quality students and staff.
We aim to achieve excellence in all that we do: teaching, research, societal benefit, always being principled, considerate and respectful.
As a College community:
- We are a place of transformation and of self-improvement, driven to achieve benefit for individuals, communities, societies and our world;
- We are diverse, inclusive and accessible to all;
- We are ambitious, bold and act with integrity, always being willing to listen;
- We have a strong sense of community, fostering a sustainable environment in which staff, students, alumni and friends are proud to be part of our University;
- We celebrate and strengthen our deep-rooted and distinctive internationalism, attracting the world’s best minds to come to study and work with us while building innovative global partnerships for research, teaching and impact;
- We sustain a deep allegiance and commitment to the interests of the city and region in which we are based, alongside our national and international efforts.
Our overarching mission is to build our community across subject boundaries and draw in partners to reach our full potential as a force for social good, locally and globally, and strengthen our support for our diverse community of staff and students.
Our strategy and policies
As a University, our vision to deliver excellence in 2030 is rooted in our values, with a focus on four key areas:
- teaching and learning, and
- social and civic responsibility.
We manage and prioritise our activity to ensure we hold true to the values of Strategy 2030, and make the greatest impact.
We also adhere to a range of internal and external policies.