New students

Important information for new students.

UK visa requirements

Students on Calton Hill
A visa is a certificate, sometimes referred to as ‘Entry Clearance’, which gives you permission to enter the UK.

Tier 4 General visa

A passport
If you are coming for a full degree course or a course of study lasting six months or more you need a Tier 4 General visa.

Tier 4 General - applying

Students working together
Applying for the Tier 4 General visa is a straight forward process if you follow the visa instructions and guidance.

English language requirements

Students at a fair
All students must prove that they can speak English to a sufficient standard to study their programme. In some cases, you may also have to provide a certificate to prove your English language ability when you make your visa application.

Tier 4 General sponsorship

View of Edinburgh Castle
When you apply for your Tier 4 General student visa, your name is added to the University’s sponsor licence number.

Immigration Health Surcharge

Person getting a health check up
New regulations introduced by the Home Office mean that from 6 April 2015, most people applying for a UK visa will be charged a compulsory additional fee to allow them to access UK healthcare.

Biometric Residence Permits (BRP)

Biometric passport symbol
From March 2015, the Home Office will begin a new system for issuing Tier 4 student visas.

Visa refusals

Student and staff member reading
The visa process is an application - and sometimes applications can be refused.

Short term student visa

A visa and a passport
The short term student visa is issued for a maximum of six months, or 11 months if you are coming to study an English language course.

Tuberculosis screening

A stethoscope
Applicants who live permanently in certain countries/regions who come to the UK for more than six months require a certificate to show that they are free from infectious pulmonary tuberculosis (TB).

Academic Technology Approval Scheme

Student in a lecture theatre
All students studying for certain science and technology programmes in the UK must now apply for ATAS (Academic Technology Approval Scheme) clearance before starting their studies.

Police registration

After arriving in Edinburgh, some international students may need to register with the police.