How to get involved
If you want to take part, you can find out who we are asking to volunteer and how to register here.
You can take part if you:
- Are aged 16 or over.
- Have access to the internet, to complete the questionnaire
- Have at least 2 grandparents from the Hebrides, Orkney or Shetland
- Have not volunteered in one of our previous studies: Orkney Complex Disease Study (ORCADES), Viking Health Study – Shetland or Viking II
Anyone interested in taking part in Viking Genes must read the volunteer information sheets before consenting. We’ll send you these by email, if you register interest via our registration form.
If you want to view this information now, you can the information sheets below:
In general, we're happy for you to be involved if you have taken part in previous studies. However, we work closely with some studies and would prefer not to recruit the same person twice. Therefore, if you have taken part in any of the below studies, we request that you do not join Viking Genes:
- Orkney Complex Disease Study (ORCADES): 2005 – 2011
- VIKING Health Study – Shetland (VIKING): 2013 – 2015
- Viking II: 2020 - ongoing
- Generation Scotland: 2006 – 2011
Yes, you can be located anywhere in the world. We are asking for volunteers with at least 2 grandparents from the Hebrides, Orkney or Shetland. Although the focus is on volunteers located in and interacting with the NHS in Scotland, your ancestry is the most important feature.