The Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies

Career Prospects

Our Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery (BVM&S) has a very high employment rate post qualification.

 You will be entitled to practise as a veterinarian as soon as you have earned your BVM&S degree and registered as a member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS).

The European Association of Establishments for Veterinary Education (EAEVE) and the reciprocal arrangement between the RCVS and the Australasian Veterinary Boards Council Inc (AVBC) allows BVM&S graduates to register to practice in Europe, Australia and New Zealand without requiring any further qualifications.

In addition, the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) will recognise your degree as equivalent to those awarded by veterinary colleges in the United States. We are also accredited by The South African Veterinary Council (SAVC). 

Our graduates go on to enjoy a wide range of careers in veterinary medicine, including positions in:

  • Small animal practices
  • Mixed practices
  • Equine practices
  • Farm/livestock environments
  • Wild animal environments
  • Wildlife conservation
  • Military support
  • Industry
  • Research
  • Government
  • Academia

International Students - new visa regulations

The UK Government has announced they plan to open a new immigration route which will allow international students to work for two years after completing their programme of studies.

Key features announced so far:

  • The new immigration route will be open to international students who have completed a degree at undergraduate level or above at a Higher Education Institution with a track record of compliance
  • Successful applicants on this route will be able to stay and work (in any sector or at any level), or look for work, in the UK for a maximum period of two years. The visa is not extendable but graduates will be able to switch into skilled work once they have found a suitable job
  • It is expected that students entering the UK in the 2020-21 academic year intake will be eligible for this route. The UKCISA website mentions that students who have current Tier 4 leave when the new route is introduced may also be able to benefit from it. Students whose Tier 4 visa expires before the route is introduced will not be eligible for the post-study work visa.
  • The route will require an in-country application. A (so far unspecified) application fee and an Immigration Health Surcharge payment will be applicable. Applicants will be subject to identity, criminality and security checks.

For more information visit


Graduate Profiles

Find out what some of our graduates have gone on to do, from veterinary practice to academia and government positions around the world.

Read our graduate profiles