The Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies is pleased to offer the Study Abroad Science Pathway with Veterinary Medicine Experience.
Veterinary Medicine Experience 2021
Regrettably, due to the continued impact of the COVID-19 outbreak, the Veterinary Medicine Experience will NOT run in academic year 2021/22.
However, should you be studying abroad at the University of Edinburgh in 2021/22, please do get in touch with us if you wish to visit Easter Bush Campus to learn more about our Veterinary Medicine programmes (subject to any restrictions in place at that time).
Contact details for the Undergraduate Admissions Office can be found at the bottom of the page.
For now, we invite you to explore our range of MOOCs:
- Video: Veterinary Medicine Experience – Study Abroad Science Pathway
- Overview of the Veterinary Medicine Study Abroad Experience at the University of Edinburgh.
The Veterinary Medicine Experience is an additional (non-credit bearing) opportunity that is open to students undertaking Study Abroad within the University of Edinburgh’s College of Science and Engineering. It represents an opportunity to gain work experience, network, and work with some of the best researchers and clinicians in the field of Veterinary Medicine.
The Veterinary Medicine Experience runs for 10 weeks throughout Semester 1 (September to December).
Veterinary Medicine Experience sessions are held on Wednesday afternoons (typically non-teaching times at the University of Edinburgh) so that they won’t clash with other courses.
Sessions take place at the University of Edinburgh's Easter Bush Campus.
Course Code: VESC07001
To be considered for the Study Abroad Science Pathway with Veterinary Medicine Experience, you must be:
- an International Exchange or Study Abroad student due to undertake Study Abroad within the University of Edinburgh’s College of Science and Engineering during Semester 1 (September to December)
- studying a Science/Animal Science major undergraduate degree at your home institution
Students interested in this experience should, in the first instance, identify and apply for a suitable (from their own perspective) Study Abroad programme within the College of Science and Engineering.
Accepted incoming students will be invited to express interest in the Veterinary Medicine Experience by the University’s Study Abroad team.
At this stage, relevant details will be passed on to our Admissions team, who will determine whether or not applicants meet the programme's academic requirements (see below).
Please note that the Veterinary Medicine Experience does not incur any additional fees.
Academic requirements mirror those of our Graduate Entry Veterinary Medicine degree programme (equivalent to a DVM).
We would expect high grades in:
- Organic and Inorganic Chemistry
We do, however, take into account the fact that students are only part way through their first degree, and so may not have yet covered all of the subjects listed above.
We expect a minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4 point scale) for the Veterinary Medicine Experience. It may be worth noting that candidates for our Graduate Entry Veterinary Medicine degree programme are expected to be on track for a GPA of 3.4 or above.
- Small Animal Practice, Internal Medicine and Diagnostic Imaging
- Veterinary clinical skills
- Exotic Animal Practice
- Farm Animal Hospital and a visit to Langhill Dairy Farm
- Equine Hospital, equine first aid and large animal clinical skills
- Introduction to Pathology
- Veterinary Public Health
- Sustainability and Food Production
Studying Veterinary Medicine at Edinburgh
If you have any questions about your Study Abroad application or about continuing your studies with us, please contact us.