Details of the technical requirements for online learning.
This is a fully online programme, and you will be accessing materials, discussion boards and a range of tools via the internet. While the programme team and the University’s Information Services (IS) department provide support for online learning, please remember that you are still responsible for your own technical set-up.
You are not expected to be a technical expert, and we provide guidance and training for the tools we use. However, we expect that you will take responsibility for your access to the programme and organise alternative access if required.
You will need the following:
- Access to a PC or Mac. This should be a desktop or laptop computer that will be able to cope with frequent online activity. Phones, tablets and Chromebooks will not be sufficient for this programme.
- A back-up plan (access to an alternative computer / internet access) in place in case your computer fails at any point during the programme.
- Access to a good internet connection. While wi-fi or wireless connection is sufficient for most activities, connecting via ethernet cable is recommended in some instances.
- An up-to-date web browser. We recommend Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome, both of which can be downloaded for free.
- Headphones with a microphone for live tutorials. We find using headphones rather than speakers minimises echo and feedback. A webcam is not required, but you may choose to purchase one.
- Up-to-date antivirus and computer security software.
Your digital skills
You should be:
- Comfortable when using the internet (feel confident that you can do a basic search and navigate through web pages).
- Familiar with your computer set-up, and able to add new software to that computer (ie have a basic understanding of the operating system).
- Able to schedule your time so that you can log in at least three times per week during the timetabled courses.
- Excited about learning how to use new online tools and software.
If you have any questions about technical requirements for the programme, please contact us.