Hospital for Small Animals: Coronavirus guidance for referring vets
The Hospital for Small Animals will, as always, endeavour to put the welfare and care of each and every animal at the top of our agenda. Thank you for working with us during this crisis.
Updated January 2021
Hospital for Small Animal Coronavirus guidance for referring vets:
The guidance below outlines our current provision of services. We will be reviewing this on a regular basis. Please note we are available as normal to discuss all of your cases and to help you as much as we can:
- As ever, we will continue to accept emergency cases, prioritising those patients that are sick and in need of urgent veterinary care via phone. We intend to provide care to as many newly referred patients as possible within the operational constraints we are currently working under.
- However, we need to ensure that the public are only making essential journeys and that we are following RCVS guidelines.
- Reception will continue to book some cases and where no routine appointments are available, our specialist clinical teams will be in touch as soon as possible to support our RVS colleagues.
- We are still very willing to help remotely for cases that we are not going to see, and continue to make our radiograph interpretation service free for the duration of the crisis. We are happy to provide as much remote support as possible for all cases.
- Our Clinical club CPD is still accessible remotely, but we have reverted our frequency to monthly.
- For a less urgent enquiry we are happy to be contacted by email –we will forward these to the relevant discipline promptly, or you can contact them via the discipline specific mail boxes.
Our information to clients remains unchanged-below:
- If you have any symptoms such as fever or coughing or loss of taste or smell, have been in contact with someone who is known to be COVID-19 positive, or meet any other guidelines for self-isolation please let us know and please ask someone else to bring your pet to us
- If you are arriving by car: - Call 0131 650 7884 when you arrive and confirm the type and colour of car you are in. Please stay in by your car and our clinicians will see you outside. Please bring as few people as possible.
- If you are arriving by public transport: - Call 0131 650 7884 and tell us when you arrive. Again our clinicians will see you outside. In the event of inclement weather there is provision for a limited amount of people to enter reception. Again, please bring as few people as possible to your appointment.
- Please keep 2 metres away from staff.
Thank you for working with us during this rapidly changing and challenging time. We hope that the above information is clear and helpful. If you have any queries or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Sue Murphy BVM&S MSc (Clin Onc) dip ECVIM-CA (Onc) MRCVS
EBVS® European Veterinary Specialist in Small Animal Oncology
RCVS recognised specialist in Oncology
Director of Clinical services
The University of Edinburgh
Easter Bush, Midlothian