Artificial insemination (AI) in mares has been around for hundreds of years. There are a number of good reasons to breed your mare using AI.
- Use genetics from many miles away or from another country.
- The ability to use a stallion from potentially any location means the world is your mare's oyster.
- Better conception rates.
- In some mares multiple coverings can lead to significant fluid accumulating in her uterus and this produces very poor conception rates. With AI, usually a single insemination with just enough semen is all that is required to get your mare pregnant.
- Disease control.
- If we check your mare for any disease and then make sure the semen is also free from any pathogens we can be sure that your mare is returned to you without any unpleasant surprises.
- Able to breed your mare locally.
- Especially if you live in the Edinburgh region. Less travelling means less stress.
- Minimal risk to the mare from being mated.
- Some stallions can be a formidable sight when they are about to cover a mare and damage to mares during mating is not unheard of.
- Able to breed mares that will not "stand" for the stallion.
- Some young maiden mares or mares with foals-at-foot get very nervous when a stallion approaches. Using AI we can breed any mare.