The number and complexity of equine cases presenting at the large animal hospital provide an excellent challenge for the anaesthesia service, and is a vital and fruitful area for research.
The team's research interests and the nature of subsequent publications include:
- the adverse cardiovascular effects of anaesthetics in horses
- the recognition of post-operative pain in horses
- the role of morphine in the management of post operative pain in horses
- factors affecting the quality of recovery in horses after general anaesthesia
- evaluating the depth of anaesthesia in horses
- the role of body conformation on the horse's ability to oxygenate during anaesthesia