A list of key publications from the Primary Palliative Care Research Group
- Hockley, J, Hafford-Letchfield, T, Noone, S, Mason, B, Jamieson, L, Iversholt, R, Musselbrook, K, Palattiyil, G, Sidhva, D, Quinn, N, Jain, S, McKie, L and Tolson, D. 2021. COVID, Communication and Care Homes: A Staffs’ Perspective of Supporting the Emotional Needs of Families. Journal of Long-Term Care, (2021), pp. 167–176. https://doi.org/10.31389/jltc.74
Finucane AM, Bone AE, Etkind S, et al. How many people will need palliative care in Scotland by 2040? A mixed-method study of projected palliative care need and recommendations for service delivery. BMJ Open 2021;11:e041317. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2020-041317
Finucane AM, Swenson C, MacArtney JI, Perry R, Lamberton H, Hetherington L, Graham-Wisener L, Murray SA, Carduff E. What makes palliative care needs 'complex'? A multisite, sequential, explanatory, mixed-methods study of patients referred for palliative care. BMC Palliat Care. 2021 Jan 15; 20(1):18. doi:10.1186/s12904-020-00700-3
Hockley J, Hafford-Letchfield T, Swift S, Mason B, Iversholt R, Palattiyil G, Sidhva D, Quinn N, Jamieson L, Musslebrook K, Sumeet J, McKie L & Tolson D. COVID, communication and care homes: a staffs’ perspective of supporting the emotional needs of families. Int J of Long-term Care 2021: 167–176. https://journal.ilpnetwork.org/articles/10.31389/jltc.74/
Murray SA. Integrating palliative care as health promotion in primary care consultations: the exceptional potential in each primary care consultation. Posted by BJGP Life | 5 Apr 2021
- Kaneko M, Oishi A, Sawa N, Irving G, Fujinuma Y. Perspectives on expert generalist practice among Japanese family doctor educators: a qualitative study. BJGP Open. 2021 May 18:BJGPO.2021.0011. doi: 10.3399/BJGPO.2021.0011. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33849894.
Sundararaj JJ, Munday D, Duomai S, John P, Priscilla S RA, Powys R, Singh A, Boyd KJ, Grant L, Murray SA. BMJ Support Palliat Care. 2021 Apr 16:bmjspcare-2021-002924. doi: 10.1136/bmjspcare-2021-002924.
Mason B, Kerssens JJ, Stoddart A, et al Unscheduled and out-of-hours care for people in their last year of life: a retrospective cohort analysis of national datasets. BMJ Open 2020;10:e041888, doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2020-041888
Finucane A, Davydaitis D, Horsman Z, Carduff E, Baughan P, Tapsfield J, Spiller J, Meade R, Lydon,B, Thompson I, Boyd K, Murray S. Electronic care coordination systems for people with advanced progressive illness: a mixed-methods evaluation in Scottish primary care. British Journal of General Practice 2020; 70 (690): e20-e28. https://doi.org/10.3399/bjgp19X707117
Van den Block L, Honinx E., Hockley J et al. Evaluation of a Palliative Care Program for Nursing Homes in 7 Countries: The PACE Cluster-Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Internal Medicine 2020. 180(2):233–242, doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2019.5349
Alcorn G, Hockley J, Murray S. Care home residents who die in hospital: exploring factors, processes and experiences. Age & Ageing 2020; 49(3): 468–480. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afz174
Boyd K, Moine S, Murray SA, Bowman D, Brun N. Should palliative care be rebranded? BMJ. 2019;364:l881.
Finucane AM, Bone AE, Evans CJ, Gomes B, Meade R, Higginson IJ, et al. The impact of population ageing on end-of-life care in Scotland: projections of place of death and recommendations for future service provision. BMC Palliative Care. 2019;18(1):112.
Hockley J, Froggatt K, Van den Block L, Onwuteaka-Philipsen B, Kylanen M, Szczerbinska K. et al. (2019). A framework for cross-cultural development and implementation of complex interventions to improve palliative care in nursing homes: the PACE steps to success programme. BMC Health Serv Res, 19(1), 745. doi:10.1186/s12913-019-4587-y
Munday D, Boyd K, Jeba J, Kimani K, Moine S, & Murray S. (2019). Defining primary palliative care for universal health coverage. The Lancet, 394(10199), 621-622. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(19)31830-6
Atreya S, Jeba J, Pease N, Thyle A, Murray S, Barnard A, Munday D, Mathews L, Leng M, Palat G, Ganesh A, Chakraborty S, Anbarasi S, Kumar R, Muckaden M, & Grant E. (2019). Primary palliative care competency framework for primary care and family physicians in India-Collaborative work by Indian Association of Palliative Care and Academy of Family Physicians of India. Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care, 8(8), 2563-2567. doi:10.4103/jfmpc.jfmpc_451_19
Lloyd A, Haraldsdottir E, Kendall M, Murray S, McCormack B. Stories from people living with frailty. Ageing and Society. 2019; 1-22. doi:10.1017/S0144686X19000825
Mitchell S, Tan A, Moine S, Dale J, Murray SA. Primary palliative care needs urgent attention. BMJ. 2019;365:l1827.
Horseman Z, Milton L, Finucane A. Barriers and facilitators to implementing the Carer Support Needs Assessment Tool in a community palliative care setting. Br J Community Nurs. 2019;24(6):284-90.
Doubal F, Cowey E, Bailey F, Murray SA, Borthwick S, Somerville M, Lerpiniere C, Reid L, Boyd K, Hynd G, Mead, GE. The key challenges of discussing end-of-life stroke care with patients and families: a mixed-methods electronic survey of hospital and community healthcare professionals. J Roy Coll Phys Edin. 2018;48(3):217-24.
Mitchell GK, Senior HE, Rhee JJ, Ware RS, Young S, Teo PC, Murray S, Boyd K, Clayton JM. Using intuition or a formal palliative care needs assessment screening process in general practice to predict death within 12 months: A randomised controlled trial. Palliative Medicine. 2018; 32(2):384-94.
- Mason B, Boyd K, Steyn J, Kendall M, Macpherson S, Murray SA. Computer screening for palliative care needs in primary care: a mixed-methods study. Br J Gen Pract. 2018;68(670):e360-e9.
- Kimbell B, Murray SA, Byrne H, Baird A, Hayes PC, MacGilchrist A, Finucane A, Brookes Young P, O’Carroll RE, Weir CJ, Kendall M, Boyd K. Palliative care for people with advanced liver disease: A feasibility trial of a supportive care liver nurse specialist. Palliative Medicine. 2018;32(5):919-29.
- Kimani KN, Murray SA, Grant L. Multidimensional needs of patients living and dying with heart failure in Kenya: a serial interview study. BMC Palliative Care. 2018;17(1):28.
- Kendall M, Cowey E, Mead G, Barber M, McAlpine C, Stott DJ, Boyd K, Murray SA. Outcomes, experiences and palliative care in major stroke: a multicentre, mixed-method, longitudinal study. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2018;190(9):E238-E46.
- Hamano J, Oishi A, Kizawa Y. Prevalence and characteristics of patients being at risk of deteriorating and dying in primary care. Journal Pain and Symptom Management. 2018.
- Jeba J, Atreya S, Chakraborty S, Pease N, Thyle A, Ganesh A, Palat G, Matthew L, Anbarasi S, Kumar R, Muckaden MA, Barnard A, Leng M, Munday D, Murray SA. Joint position statement Indian Association of Palliative Care and Academy of Family Physicians of India - The way forward for developing community-based palliative care program throughout India. Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care. 2018;7(2):291-302.
- Finucane AM, Carduff E, Lugton J, Fenning S, Johnston B, Fallon M, Clark D, Spiller JA, Murray SA. Palliative and end-of-life care research in Scotland 2006–2015: a systematic scoping review. BMC Palliative Care. 2018;17(1):19.
- European Association for Palliative Care Primary Care Reference G, Moine S, Murray SA, Boyd K, Engels Y, Mitchell G. Palliative care and the endless cycle of serious health-related suffering. The Lancet. 2018;392(10146):471-2.
- Afshar K, Feichtner A, Boyd K, Murray S, Jünger S, Wiese B, Schneider N, Müllet-Mundt G. Systematic development and adjustment of the German version of the Supportive and Palliative Care Indicators Tool (SPICT-DE). BMC palliative care. 2018;17(1):27.
- Namukwaya L, Murray SA, Downing J, Leng M & Grant L. “I think my body has become addicted to those tablets”. Chronic heart failure patients’ understanding of and beliefs about their illness and its treatment: a qualitative longitudinal study from Uganda. PLoS ONE 2017;12(9):e0182876.
Acharya P, Pandey B, Pokhrel Y, Baral K, Munday D & Gongal R. Palliative care need among inpatients in acute general hospitals in Nepal: a point prevalence survey. Journal of Patan Academy of Health Sciences. 2017;4(1):42-46. (SPICT-LIS study)
Murray SA, Amblas-Novellas J, Moine S & Boyd K. Encouraging an assets rather than a deficits approach to the last phase of life. The BMJ Opinion. The BMJ. 14 October 2017.
Grant L, Downing J, Luyirika E, Murphy M, Namukwaya L, Kiyange F, et al. Integrating palliative care into national health systems in Africa: a multi-country intervention study. Journal of Global Health. 2017;7(1):010419.
Gómez-Batiste X, Murray S, Thomas K, Blay C, Boyd K, Moine S, et al. Comprehensive and integrated palliative care for people with advanced chronic conditions: an update from several European initiatives and recommendations for policy. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2017;53(3):509-17.
Murray SA, Kendall M, Mitchell G, Moine S, Amblàs-Novellas J, Boyd K. Palliative care from diagnosis to death. BMJ. 2017;356.
Carduff E, Kendall M, Murray SA. Living and dying with metastatic bowel cancer: Serial in-depth interviews with patients. European Journal of Cancer Care. 2017;e12653
- Hockley J, Harrison JK, Watson J, Randall M, Murray SA. Fixing the broken image of care homes, could a "care home innovation centre" be the answer? Age Ageing. 2017;46(2):175-8.
- Namukwaya E, Grant L, Downing J, Leng M, Murray SA. Improving care for people with heart failure in Uganda: serial in-depth interviews with patients' and their health care professionals. BMC Research Notes. 2017;10(1):184.
- Stacpoole M, Hockley J, Thompsell A, Simard J, Volicer L. Implementing the Namaste Care Program for residents with advanced dementia: exploring the perceptions of families and staff in UK care homes. Annals of Palliative Medicine. 2017;6(4):327-339.
- Carduff E, Kendall M, Murray SA. Living and dying with metastatic bowel cancer: Serial in-depth interviews with patients. Eur J Cancer Care. 2017;e12653.
- Lloyd A, Kendall M, Starr JM, Murray SA. Physical, social, psychological and existential trajectories of loss and adaptation towards the end of life for older people living with frailty: a serial interview study. BMC Geriatrics. 2016;16:176.
- Kimbell B, Murray SA, Macpherson S, Boyd K. Embracing inherent uncertainty in advanced illness. BMJ. 2016;354:i3802
- Murray SA. Set a low bar for starting palliative care. Dying patients and their families most need support early on. BMJ. 2016;353:i3598
- Tapsfield J, Hall C, Lunan C, McCutcheon H, McLoughlin P, Rhee J, et al. Many people in Scotland now benefit from anticipatory care before they die: an after death analysis and interviews with general practitioners. BMJ Support & Pall Care. 2016
- Denvir MA, Cudmore S, Highet G, Robertson S, Donald L, Stephen J, et al. Phase 2 Randomised Controlled Trial and Feasibility Study of Future Care Planning in Patients with Advanced Heart Disease. Sci Rep. 2016;6
- Murray SA, Murray IR. End of life care still not living up to public and doctors’ expectations. BMJ. 2016;353
- Downing J, Batuli M, Kivumbi G, Kabahweza J, Grant L, Murray SA, et al. A palliative care link nurse programme in Mulago Hospital, Uganda: an evaluation using mixed methods. BMC Palliat Care. 2016;15(1):1-13.
- Kimbell B, Boyd K, Kendall M, Iredale J, Murray SA. Managing uncertainty in advanced liver disease: a qualitative, multiperspective, serial interview study. BMJ Open. 2015;5(11):e009241.
- Nanton V, Munday D, Dale J, Mason B, Kendall M, Murray S. The threatened self: Considerations of time, place, and uncertainty in advanced illness. Br J Health Psychol. 2015 Dec 22.
- Kendall M, Buckingham S, Ferguson S, MacNee W, Sheikh A, White P, et al. Exploring the concept of need in people with very severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a qualitative study. BMJ Support Palliat Care. 2015.
- Sallnow L, Richardson H, Murray SA, Kellehear A. The impact of a new public health approach to end-of-life care: A systematic review. Palliat Med. 2015;30(3):200-11.
- Boyd KJ, Murray SA. Worsening disability in older people: a trigger for palliative care. BMJ. 2015;350.
- Boyd K, Kimbell B, Murray S, Iredale J. A “good death” with irreversible liver disease: Talking with patients and families about deteriorating health and dying. Clinical Liver Disease. 2015;6(1):15-8.
- Mason B, Boyd K, Murray S, Steyn J, Cormie P, Kendall M, et al. Developing a computerised search to help UK General Practices identify more patients for palliative care planning: a feasibility study. BMC Fam Pract. 2015;16(1):99.
- Kendall M, Carduff E, Lloyd A, Kimbell B, Cavers D, Buckingham S, et al. Different Experiences and Goals in Different Advanced Diseases: Comparing Serial Interviews with Patients with Cancer, Organ Failure or Frailty and Their Family and Professional Carers. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2015;50(2):216-24.
- Denvir MA, Murray SA, Boyd KJ. Future care planning: a first step to palliative care for all patients with advanced heart disease. Heart. 2015;101:1002-7.
- Buckingham S, Kendall M, Ferguson S, MacNee W, Sheikh A, White P, et al. HELPing older people with very severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (HELP-COPD): mixed-method feasibility pilot randomised controlled trial of a novel intervention. NPJ Prim Care Respir Med. 2015;25.
- Carduff E, Murray S, Carduff E, Murray S. How can more people with advanced illness get better end-of-life care? European Journal of Palliative Care. 2015;22(1).
- Murray SA, Firth A, Schneider N, Van den Eynden B, Gomez-Batiste X, Brogaard T, et al. Promoting palliative care in the community: Production of the primary palliative care toolkit by the European Association of Palliative Care Taskforce in primary palliative care. Palliat Med. 2015;29(2):101-11.
Other key publications
- Highet G, Crawford D, Murray SA, Boyd K. Development and evaluation of the Supportive and Palliative Care Indicators Tool (SPICT): a mixed-methods study. BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care, 2014;4(3):285-90.
- Denvir MA, Highet G, Robertson S, Cudmore S, Reid J, Ness A, Hogg K, Weir C, Murray SA, Boyd K. Future Care Planning for patients approaching end-of-life with advanced heart disease BMJ Open, BMJ Open 2014;4:e005021. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2014-005021
- Daveson BA, Harding R, Shipman C, Mason B, Epiphaniou E, Higginson I, Ellis-Smith C, Henson L, Munday D, Nanton V, Dale J, Boyd K, Worth A, Barclay S, Donaldson A & Murray SA. The real-world problem of care coordination: A longitudinal qualitative study with patients living with advanced progressive illness and their unpaid caregivers. Plos One, 2014, 9:5. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0095523
- Maas EA, Murray SA, Engels Y & Campbell C. What tools are available to identify patients with palliative care needs in primary care: a systematic literature review and survey of European practice. BMJ Supportive and Palliative Care, 2013; 3:444-451. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12875-015-0312-z
- Mason B, Epiphaniou E, Nanton V, Donaldson A, Shipman C, Daveson BA, Harding R, Higginson I, Barclay S, Boyd K, Dale J, Kendall M, Woth A & Murray SA. Coordination of care for individuals with advanced progressive conditions: a multi-site ethnographic and serial interview study. BJGP, 2013;63(613):e580-e8. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0095523
- Pinnock H, Kendall M, Murray SA, Worth A, Levack P, Porter M, MacNee W & Sheikh A. Living and dying with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: multi-perspective longitudinal qualitative study. BMJ 2011;342:d142. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.d142
- Murray SA, Kendall M, Boyd K, Grant E, Highet G & Sheikh A. Archetypal trajectories of social, psychological and spiritual wellbeing and distress in family caregivers of patients with lung cancer: secondary analyses of serial qualitative interviews. BMJ 2010;304:c2581. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.c2581
- Murray SA, Kendall M, Carduff E, Worth A, Harris FM, Lloyd A, Cavers D, Grant L and Sheikh A. Use of serial qualitative interviews to understand patients’ evolving experiences and needs. BMJ 2009;339:b3702. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.b3702
Murray SA, Kendall M, Boyd K, Sheikh A. Illness trajectories and palliative care. Clinical Review. BMJ 2005; 330:1007-11. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.330.7498.1007
Murray SA, Grant E, Grant A & Kendall M. Dying from cancer in developed and developing countries: lessons from two qualitative interview studies of patients and their carers. BMJ 2003;326:368-72. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.326.7385.368
Murray SA, Boyd K, Kendall M, Worth A, Benton TF & Clausen H. Dying of lung cancer or cardiac failure: prospective qualitative interview study of patients and their carers in the community. BMJ 2002;325:929-32. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.325.7370.929