The Usher Institute strives for the data-enabled transformation of health and care. We are keen to work in partnership with the commercial, public and third sectors to solve real-world challenges in health and care.
What can we offer?
We have a strong connection to the National Health Service, Public Health Policy and a breadth of world-leading expertise including:
- Data science and artificial intelligence in health and care
- Clinical trials
- Genetic and molecular epidemiology
- Infectious disease
- Population health and epidemiology
- Electronic health records and data linkage
- Health and care development and improvement
- Understanding acceptance, trust and ethics of health and care technology
- World leading expertise to drive innovation in health care
What can we do together?
Collaboration with the Usher Institute will allow you to
- Access world-leading expertise to address identified needs in health and care
- Work with you to help solve commercial challenges
- Innovate in a stimulating environment, where cutting-edge research is geared towards health and care delivery
- Optimise and scale your technologies to maximize the chances of success
- Independent validation of technologies
- Undertake horizon scanning to identify future commercial opportunities and market gaps
- Partner in international research bids to help solve health and care challenges
Get in touch
Edinburgh Innovations is the University of Edinburgh’s commercialisation service.
To discuss your project / idea or to get more detail on our expertise and facilities, please contact:
Dr Sarah Brown
Business Development Executive, Edinburgh Innovations
Tel: 07772 162 838
We ensure you can access the right expertise at the University quickly and efficiently.
Our Business Development Team are here to help you form initial contact right through to the contracting stage. By working with you to understand what you want to achieve, we can then help you scope your project. We are proactive in developing your relationship with key academics. We look at the wider implications such as funding sources.
There are many ways organisations can engage with our multi-disciplinary researchers. We can advise on the most appropriate route for your project and manage the interactions to a successful conclusion.
- Collaborative partnership: If you need to tackle a particular challenge we can offer a bespoke research programme designed specifically around your requirements and drawing on multi-disciplinary research expertise. We have a track record of identifying and harnessing the right expertise for companies, including scoping out and identifying funding.
- Consultancy: Our consultancy service gives you easy access to more than 600 world-class academics undertaking research in a wide range of disciplines. Our academics can provide flexible, short or long term expertise to help solve challenges facing private and public sector organisations.
- Licensing: A licensing agreement with the Usher Institute enables your business to translate cutting-edge research and technology into profitable new products, processes and services. There are various ways to access the latest technologies, which your Business Development Manager can advise on and manage.
- Secondments: If you are looking for specific expertise for an innovation project, we can deliver this for you via an employee secondment into a research group, or a part-time placement of academic staff into your company.
- Studentships: A three or four year PhD project engages a talented graduate to work in a research area of strategic importance to your company.