Project: Responsiveness to oral corticosteroids in recurrent wheeze of early childhood
PhD Title: Responsiveness to oral corticosteroids in recurrent wheeze of early childhood
Funded by: University of Edinburgh
Supervisors: Professor Steve Cunningham, Professor Steff Lewis, Professor Steve Turner, Jess Rees
Based at: University of Edinburgh
Wheezing is mainly caused by asthma in childhood and around one-third of pre-schoolers experience at least one wheezing episode in childhood. Recurrent wheezing is the most common clinical disorder amongst infants and pre-school aged children. Wheezing can last instantly but many children are suffering from recurrent wheezing throughout their childhood. Therefore, it is not deniable that this disorder causes a substantial impact on the affected children’s quality of life and their parent as well as a whole society.
Oral corticosteroids (OCS) is generally used to relieve wheezing in young children. Many studies in older children have proved positive results in terms of medication burden and hospitalisation. However, studies for responsiveness on OCS in young children have shown inconsistent results. Regarding the early prediction of responsiveness on OCS, some algorithms have been proposed, but there is a need for developing algorithms reducing great heterogeneity of mechanisms, reflecting multiple risk factors and increasing reliability with enough confidence.
Study currently recruiting
Bohee is currently recruiting parents/guardians/carers of children under 7 who have severe wheeze. Participants will need to take part in two 1-hour meetings (online or in-person). They will be compensated for their time and any travel costs will be reimbursed.
Bohee is also recruiting healthcare professionals with experience of prescribing oral corticosteroids (OCS) to wheezy children aged between 1 and 6. They are asked to complete a survey to understand their views.
Targeted health professionals are: Primary care doctor, General Practitioner, Emergency medicine doctor, Specialist Respiratory Paediatrician/Pulmonologist, Respiratory nurse specialist, Advanced Nurse practitioner and others who have experience of prescribing OCS to wheezy children between 1 and 6 years old. International respondents are welcome for this survey.
I have completed MSc Clinical Pharmacy at Dankook University in South Korea and MPH at University of Edinburgh. My research interests lie in the management of asthma or recurrent wheezing including issues around responsiveness to a medicine in a certain age group and use of the medicine.
- Lee, B., Ibrahim, S.A., Zhang, T. Mobile Apps Leveraged in the COVID-19 Pandemic in East and South-East Asia: Review and Content Analysis. JMIR Mhealth Uhealth. 2021 Nov 11;9(11):e32093. doi: 10.2196/32093. PMID: 34748515.
- Kulkarni, D., Ashcroft, T., Lee, B., Nundy, M., Hartnup, K., Bhattacharyya, U., Agyei-Manu, E., Farfan de los, E., Leow, A., Vardhan, V., Motee, A., McQuillan, R., Theodoratou, E., Shi, T., and McSwiggan E. UNCOVER Report: Case Definitions for Surveillance Integrated for Influenza and COVID-19 View the review on the UNCOVER Case Definitions and Clinical Features webpage
- Goodwin, L., Iduye, D., Dozier, M., Farfan de los Godos, E., Fryer, J., Hair, K., King, T., Krishan, P., Lee, B., McSwiggan, E., Sarica, S., Scott, E., Theodoratou, E., McQuillan, R. UNCOVER Report: What is the impact of COVID-19 mitigation strategies on the mental health of post-secondary school students? View the review on the UNCOVER Mental Health and COVID-19 webpage
Kulkarni, D., Ashcroft, T., Lee, B., Nundy, M., Hartnup, K., Theodoratou, E., McQuillan, R., Shi, UNCOVER Report: A Living Review Examining the Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic on Influenz and Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) Activity (Weekly Updates) View the weekly updates on the UNCOVER Influenza, RSV and COVID-19 webpage
Lee, B., Theodoratou, E., McQuillan, R., Agyei-Manu, E., Atkins, N., Bhattacharyya, U., Dozier, M., Lewis, G. UNCOVER Report: Risk of serious COVID-19 outcomes among adults and children with severe asthma: A systematic review and meta-analysis View the review on the UNCOVER Comorbidities and COVID-19 webpage
Lee, B., Lee, C., Lee, Y. (2021). Korean Women’s Knowledge Level and Social Perception toward Oral Contraceptives and Perspectives on Pharmacy Visits. Yakhak Hoeji, 65(4): 292-300. doi: 10.17480/psk.2021.65.4.292
Lee, B., & Lee, Y . (2021). Evaluation of Efficacy and Safety of Ticagrelor Compared to Clopidogrel in East Asian Patients with Acute Coronary Syndrome: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis Bo Hee Lee and Yun Jeong Lee. Korean Journal of Community Pharmacy, 7(1):20-29
Lee, B., Lee. L. (2020). Evaluation of Patient Assessment and Counseling of Over-the-counter Oral Contraceptives by Community Pharmacists in South Korea: A Mystery Shopper Study. Yakhak Hoeji, 64(4): 250-256. doi: 10.17480/psk.2020.64.4.250
- Lee, B., & Lee, Y. (2019). Evaluation of medication use and pharmacy services for visually impaired persons: Perspectives from both visually impaired and community pharmacists. Disability and Health Journal, 12(1), 79-86. doi: 10.1016/j.dhjo.2018.07.012
- Lee, Y., Kim, H., Choi, J., Lee, B., & Lee, S. (2018). Evaluation of pharmacokinetic, pharmacodynamic, efficacy, and safety data of low-dose ticagrelor versus standard-dose in East Asians: a systematic review. Therapeutics And Clinical Risk Management, Volume 14, 83-93. doi: 10.2147/tcrm.s152276
- Kim, J., Kim, M., Lee, B., Kim, J., Ahn, E., & Ko, H. et al. (2016). Marmesin-mediated suppression of VEGF/VEGFR and integrin β1 expression: Its implication in non-small cell lung cancer cell responses and tumour angiogenesis. Oncology Reports, 37(1), 91-97. doi: 10.3892/or.2016.5245
- “Korean women’s awareness, psychological attitude, and knowledge on oral contraceptive use”. Korea Academy of Community Pharmacy, Seoul, South Korea. (Poster presentation- Nov.2017)
- “Evaluation of medication counseling on oral contraceptives at community pharmacies in Korea: a mystery shopper study”. The Korea Academy of Community Pharmacy, Seoul, South Korea. (Poster presentation. Nov.2017)
- “Investigation on the status of medication usage and adherence in visually impaired and suggestion for improvement” . The 77th FIP World Congress of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2017 Seoul, South Korea. (Poster presentation. Sep.2017)
- “Evaluation of efficacy and safety of ticagrelor compared to clopidogrel in East Asian patients with acute coronary syndrome: a systemic review and meta-analysis”.The International Convention of the Pharmaceutical Society of Korea, Seoul, South Korea.(Poster presenation. Sep.2016)
- “Analysis of the characteristics and career aims of Korean international students in the US PharmD program”. The 16th Asian Conference on Clinical Pharmacy, Seoul, South Korea(poster presentation. July.2016)