Nationals of certain countries who come to the UK for more than six months are required to register with the police within seven days of collecting their BRP.
Students are required to make an appointment at the Nationality Department (Police Headquarters) at 5 Fettes Avenue EH4 1RB. They are typically required to present the following documents:
- two passport-sized photographs
- unconditional offer letter
- visa and accompanying letter
- evidence of address in Edinburgh (such as the bank introduction letter from MyEd)
- £34 cash payment
- Initial Registration Document (to be printed and completed before appointment)
The police registration certificate must be updated within seven days of any of the following occurring:
- change of address
- change in immigration permission
- change in passport details
The University is not required to check that police registrations are obtained but should ensure awareness of the requirement.
Due to the lack of resource in the Nationality Department in Edinburgh students often are unable to register within 7 days. It is normally not a problem to exceed this time (especially at the start of term), but students must be diligent in ensuring that they do register when they can, and show that they attempted to register on time.