Tuition fees

EU students who may be eligible for 'home' status

If you have the right to live in the UK, including under the UK Government's EU Settlement Scheme or because you are from the Republic of Ireland, you may be exempt from paying international fees.

Settled and pre-settled status 

Under the Home Office's EU Settlement Scheme you can be awarded one of two statuses that allow you to live and study in the UK.

These are: 

  • Settled status - indefinite leave to remain when you have lived in the UK for at least five years. 
  • Pre-settled status - limited leave to remain if you have lived in the UK for less than five years. 

Find out about the EU Settlement Scheme on the UK Government website. 

EU settlement Scheme information on the UK Government website

Work out your fee status

We use guidance from the Scottish Government to tell us which fee status applies, based on your circumstances. 

The Education (Fees and Student Support) (EU Exit) (Scotland) (Amendment) Regulations 2021 (

Select the section that most closely reflects your circumstances to find out what your fee status is likely to be.

Please note that the status given here is not guaranteed. We consider every application individually, based on the answers you give in your fee status questionnaire after you apply for your degree programme.

You’re from the EU, EEA or Switzerland and live in the UK

You’re from the EU, EEA or Switzerland and live in the EU/EEA

You're from the Republic of Ireland

You have dual UK/EU nationality

Tuition fee rates

Once you know your fee status, you can check the current fee rates on our tuition fees pages.

Find your tuition fees


For definitions of some of the key terms on this page, check our guide to fee status definitions.

Definitions of fee status terms

Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS) guidance and government information

Each University within Scotland is responsible for making their own fee status assessments within their legislative frameworks. The regulations by which SAAS defines a 'home' student for funding, may differ form how the University of Edinburgh chooses to define a home student for tuition fee purposes. 

Brexit guidance on the Student Awards Agency Scotland website

Brexit: Impact on fee status assessments on the UKCISA website