Ticketing and railcards
There are a range of tickets and railcards which can be used for your train journey.
Rail tickets are available to buy online, over the phone and at rail stations.
It is advised, where possible, to buy your ticket before boarding the train.
To ensure a reduction in fare price, book your train ticket well in advance of rail travel.
Scotrail provide a range of ticket types to best suit your journey requirements.
- Anytime tickets - buy any time, travel any time, no restrictions.
- Off-Peak tickets - buy any time, travel off-peak, cheaper fares.
- Advance purchase tickets - book by 6.00pm the day before travel and save money.
- Group tickets - save money when you travel with friends and family.
- Season/Multi- journey tickets - multi-journey tickets are perfect for regular travellers, offering savings on buying tickets separately.
- Rover tickets - flexible tickets designed for touring, which include travel on trains buses and ferries.
- Combined travel tickets - convenient tickets which combine rail and other modes of transport to help you reach your final destination.
- Day trip tickets to attractions - a range of great value through tickets to some of Scotland’s top attractions. Tickets include rail travel plus discounted entry to the attraction.
- Sleeper tickets - overnight sleeper travel between over 40 locations in Scotland, North West England and London.
Season tickets are available for travel to Edinburgh from the following train operating companies.
Interest free public transport loan
University of Edinburgh staff may apply for an interest free loan to pay for a public transport season ticket.
PlusBus is a discount price bus pass that you buy with your train ticket.
It gives you unlimited bus travel around town, at the start, the finish, or both ends of your train journey.
You can buy a PlusBus bus pass with your train ticket at the station ticket office, by 'phone or online.
With a PlusBus ticket you can travel anywhere on most buses around the whole urban area of town.
A range of discounts through railcards are available including:
- Young Persons Railcard - annual railcard which provides discounts for those aged between 16 and 25
- National Entitlement Scheme - Scottish youth railcard - concessionary travel scheme which provides discounts for those aged between 16 and 18 in Scotland.
- Senior Railcard - annual railcard which provides discounts for those aged 60 or over.
- Disabled Persons Railcard - annual railcard which provides discounts for those who have a disability which makes travelling by train difficult.
- Family & Friends Railcard - discounted travel on adult and child fares.