Overseas Resit Examination Service
Information regarding sitting resit exams overseas for August 2020.
***Due to the current approach taken for main exam diets, with exams now being completed online. We are uncertain what approach will be taken for the Overseas Examination Service and whether it will be available for 2021 at this stage. If you have any questions regarding this service, please email Examinations@ed.ac.uk ***
How it works
- The August exam resit timetable is scheduled firstly taking into consideration the exams that take place at the University of Edinburgh.
- From this timetable we are then able to establish which exam resits can take place overseas. The overseas exam resit sittings must take place at the same time as the exam sittings in Edinburgh. For example, if an exam is being sat at 09:30 in Edinburgh and an applicant has applied to resit the same exam in Hong Kong (+8 hours) then the applicant would have to be able to sit the exam in Hong Kong at 17:30 (local time).
- The outcome of an application will be influenced by the time difference described above, as well as any constraints put in place by the chosen host venue (e.g. local public holidays) as well as any constraints set by the School for the exam paper.
- There may be instances when one applicant for an exam will be permitted to resit overseas, but another applicant (in a different location) will be refused. This will be because the refused application does not meet the criteria set out above.
What if I don’t know my course results?
- If you do not know your course results, we strongly suggest you complete the application form.
- Once you know your results, you can withdraw your application if you have passed your course or, you can add and remove courses by e-mailing email@example.com
- Do not leave it to the last minute to apply to sit overseas.
What do I do if I have missed the deadline to apply to sit overseas?
- You will now be required to return to Edinburgh to sit your exams.
- Details regarding the publication of the exam timetable, can be found on here
- If you require further information, regarding exam resits, please contact your school or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
What does the service offer?
- Written examinations sat during the August diet (resits and/or first sits) can be sat out with the UK. The service is not available for first sits during semester time.
- The service makes arrangements with the British Council for the exam(s) to be sat simultaneously with the exam(s) held in Edinburgh. The exam(s) is held at a relevant British Council Office and invigilated by British Council staff. The exam paper is securely delivered to the British Council and the completed script is couriered back to Edinburgh.
- Visiting students can sit August exams and resits held in Semester 2 (if they are Semester 1 only visiting students) at their home institution (with the home University’s agreement).
Exams not permitted to sit overseas
The resit exams from the Schools listed below are not permitted to be sat overseas. Students taking exams from these Schools must sit resits in Edinburgh:
- School of Economics
- MBChB programmes
- Business School
- School of Informatics
BVMS - Not all BVM&S exams can be taken abroad. Please discuss your requirements with the course organiser or year administrator before making an application:
- BVMS08038 - The Animal Body (1) - unable to offer this exam overseas
Important information to consider before applying for this service
- The service is offered upon agreement from the relevant School.
- It is also dependent upon the time differences not being prohibitive to these arrangements.
- All arrangements must be made via this service.
- If satisfactory arrangements cannot be made, then the student is required to attend the exam in Edinburgh
- If a student has specific exam concessions (as per a Learning Profile) where possible these will be met, but cannot be guaranteed, as this is dependent upon arrangements with the relevant British Council Office.
- If you have more than one exam and one school does not permit you to sit their resit overseas, you will be required to return to Edinburgh
- Practical exams or exams which require specific software are not permitted to be sat overseas e.g. Informatics and Veterinary Studies practical exams (please refer to the above list (Exams not permitted to sit overseas))
- If your host centre is in a country which has public holidays or religious festivals during the exam diet, you will not be able to apply for this service and will be required to return to Edinburgh.
- British Councils should not be contacted directly.
Who can use the service?
- International students and students whose home address is not in the UK.
- Visiting Undergraduate Students.
- UK national students who are outside the UK for either reasons directly related to their studies.
Who cannot use this service?
- Students overseas for any other purpose e.g. holidays, work, voluntary work, internships, travelling etc are not eligible to use this service.
- Students whose home address is overseas and are on holiday, working etc in another country.
Where can I sit my exam?
You are only permitted to sit your exam(s) in your home country.
Exams are only held at British Councils in countries outside of North America. No alternative venues or dates/times will be considered.
The British Council has supplied us with a list of venues. There may be instances when these venues are unavailable e.g. local holidays, the venue may no longer be running exams. In this instance, you may choose another British Council, within the country you are applying for. If there are no other British Councils, in the country you are applying to sit an exam, or the other British Council within that country are unable to accommodate the Overseas Service, then you will be required to return to Edinburgh.
If the British Council office in the country you wish to resit your overseas exam does not appear on this list, then they do not have the facilities to host exams and therefore do not offer this service.
North American Application Process
Students wishing to sit in the USA or Canada must contact a local, recognised university which is willing to hold their exam(s) (details of which should be passed to the UoE Examinations team).
For information on this process and how to apply please see the diagram below:
Students are also required to collect relevant information from their chosen host centre. Students should provide the host centre with the information sheet (available below).
It is the student's responsibility to return this information to the UoE Examinations team as soon as possible once the student has received a completed copy from their chosen host centre.
What does it cost?
- There is a fee of £115 to use the service (per exam). This covers the University’s administration costs, costs of couriers and British Council charges.
- If the exam is a reassessment then the normal University reassessment fee will apply information regarding this fee can be found - Scholarships and Student Funding
- Payment is made in advance of the examination(s) and is not refundable. If a student fails to attend the arranged exam no refund will be applicable.
Publication of Exam Timetable?
Information regarding the publication date of the timetable can be found here
What happens next?
- All applications will then be sent to the relevant schools to seek their permissions. An assessment will also be made to ascertain if examinations can be synchronised across the various time zones, in order to retain the integrity of the exams.
- If the school confirms agreement, we will contact the British Council or the relevant institution in the USA/Canada.
- If exams can be arranged, students will receive an email which will contain a link to pay the fees associated with the service. Fees must be paid within 72 hours of receiving this link. If they fee is not paid, your application will be withdrawn. The fee per exam is £115.
- The re-examination fee of £130 is also payable (an invoice will be sent to students).
- Once the exam timetable is available, you will receive:
- Confirmation of the date and time of your exam(s)
- Contact details of the relevant host centre
How do I cancel my application?
- Contact the Examinations team immediately email@example.com
- Once you pay to sit overseas, all fees are non-refundable.