What do I do once I get my result?
Information to follow depending on the outcome of your result.
What do I do If the result of my test is positive?
- We advise that you must self-isolate immediately if your test result is positive.
- You will be provided with a mobile phone number which will connect you to a member of the TestEd team. You can choose to phone this number to get advice on how to seek a confirmatory NHS test.
- if you have developed symptoms of COVID-19 (high temperature, persistent cough, loss of taste or smell) we will advise you to book a diagnostic COVID-19 test via NHS Test and Protect and provide step by step instructions of how to do so. (https://www.nhsinform.scot/campaigns/test-and-protect)
- If you have not developed any COVID-19 symptoms, we can arrange for you to receive an NHS diagnostic test via NHS Occupational Health Service or another associated body.
- All staff and students should follow the established process by completing an online form on the University website to let the University know you have had a positive NHS test result for COVID-19. If you are a member of staff you are also required to inform your line manager.
- If you are a student who has tested positive, further information can be found on the University’s website following the link below: Self-isolation | The University of Edinburgh student self-isolation form
- If you are a member of staff who has tested positive, further information can be found on the University’s website following the link below: Staff | The University of Edinburgh staff self-isolation form
- Further provision of support can be found on the Scottish Government website. https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-test-and-protect/pages/support-grants/
- If the result of your NHS test result is negative, we advise you to return to your normal routine and continue to adhere to public health guidelines. We also encourage you to continue to participate in TestEd.
What additional support do I receive if I test positive?
- If the NHS diagnostic test confirms your positive TestEd result and should you need to self-isolate, you will receive via email a modest support for subsistence in the form of a £50 food voucher.
What else happens if I test positive?
If you test positive, you will also be asked if you would like to participate in a follow-up interview with a researcher. The interview aims to explore in-depth the views and experiences of staff and students regarding regular testing and examine how participants who test positive respond to public health advice. Our research team is interested in the barriers and facilitators to participating in testing and to the self-isolation element of public health advice. Your views can help identify ways to improve the testing process and information and support provided for staff and students.
What do I do if the result of my test is negative?
A negative result means that the virus was not detected using the TestEd methodology in your sample. This is research methodology rather than diagnostic methodology. You will be advised to continue to follow the public health guidance and continue participation in TestEd. https://www.gov.scot/coronavirus-covid-19/
What do I do If the result of my test is inconclusive?
It is possible that the test on your saliva has failed, in which case your result was labelled inconclusive. This occasionally happens and is nothing to be concerned about. We would therefore ask you to please provide another TestEd sample on the next collection date.