Fairtrade Fortnight 2021
The University is committed to promoting fair trade wherever possible, and works actively to combat human rights abuses in supply chains.
Fairtrade Fortnight 2021: Monday 22 February - Sunday 7 March
We have been a Fairtrade University since 2004 and are active in Edinburgh’s Fairtrade City Group. We supported Scotland’s bid to become a Fair Trade Nation, a status that was awarded in 2013. The theme for 2021 is 'choose the world you want', with a focus on the climate crisis. There are a range of events being held online.
Fairtrade Fortnight events
- Monday 22 February: Green During COVID-19, 18:00 - 19:30 (Edinburgh University Students' Association).
- Wednesday 24 February: Fairtrade Fortnight - the impacts of climate on local and global communities, 15.30 - 16.15 (The University of Edinburgh).
- Edinburgh Fairtrade City Group events, virtual tours of craft workshops in Gaza and Bethlehem.
- Scottish Fairtrade Forum events.
- Choose the world you want festival (Fairtrade Foundation).
Win a £75 voucher this Fairtrade Fortnight!
Celebrate Fairtrade Fortnight by entering our competition. Enter our crafting, making and baking blog post competition for the chance to win a £75 voucher.
Congratulations to the winner of our social media competition in the first week of the Fortnight who won a £50 One World Shop voucher!
More ways to get involved
- Change your background to a fair trade theme. Download backgrounds from the Fairtrade Foundation website.
- Share your vision for the world you want in the Fairtrade Foundation's virtual exhibition (open to those under the age of 25). More information on how to enter.
- Are you running your own event for Fairtrade Fortnight and want us to promote it? Get in touch.
Fairtrade Fortnight is an action-packed highlight of the year, when campaigners, businesses, schools and places of worship show their support for the farmers and workers who grow our food in developing countries.
Fair trade at the University
Find out more about what we are doing to ensure fair trade and protection of human rights at the University.
- Learn about fair trade products at the University, or for more detail visit the fairness in trade and sustainable procurement page.
- Learn about the conflict minerals that are in most electronics.
- Learn about what the University is doing about modern slavery by completing our training for staff and students.
- Read our modern slavery statement for more detail.
- Learn about the collaborative EU-funded project: 'Make ICT Fair'.
- Would you like to incorporate fair trade into your coursework or dissertation? Browse fair trade research topics on our Living Labs projects database.
- More information and resources available from the Fairtrade Foundation.