Fairtrade Fortnight 2020
The University is committed to promoting fair trade wherever possible, and works actively to combat human rights abuses in supply chains.
Fairtrade Fortnight 2020: Monday 24 February - Sunday 8 March
Fairtrade Fortnight is an action-packed highlight of the year, when campaigners, businesses, schools and places of worship show their support for the farmers and workers who grow our food in developing countries.
We have been a Fairtrade University since 2004 and are active in Edinburgh’s Fairtrade City Group. We supported Scotland’s bid to become a Fair Trade Nation, a status that was awarded in 2013. The theme for 2020 is 'She deserves a living income'. There are a range of events being held across the campus and the city.
Fairtrade Fortnight events
- 27 February: Fairtrade Festival, 17:00 - 19:00, Waverley Court; featuring stalls and presentations from fair trade producers and retailers
- 27 February INDIAcussion podcast launch, focusing on environmental, economic, and cultural sustainability in the Indian and Chinese textile industries
- 29 February: She Deserves Fairtrade: the story of chocolate, 11:00 - 13:00, St Augustine Chuch; featuring a talk from Fairtrade cocoa producer Leocadie Voho, followed by a panel discussion about Fairtrade and gender equality
- 5 March: Conscious Cinema: The Chocolate Case screening and Q&A with Tony's Chocoloney
- Free Tony's Chocoloney tasting in David Hume Tower Café, date TBC
- Find Fairtrade products in University cafés
Future events about fair trade
- 1 April: Conscious Cinema: The True Cost screening and Q&A with Lucy and Yak
Fairtrade at the University
Find out more about what we are doing to ensure fair trade and protection of human rights at the University.
- Learn about fair trade products at the University here, or for more detail visit the fairness in trade and sustainable procurement page.
- Learn about the conflict minerals that are in most electronics.
- Learn about what the University is doing about modern slavery, including our modern slavery statement.
- Learn about the collaborative EU-funded project: 'Make ICT Fair'.
- Would you like to incorporate fair trade into your coursework or dissertation? Browse fair trade research topics on our Living Labs projects database.
- More information and resources available from the Fairtrade Foundation.
Are you running your own event for Fairtrade Fortnight and want us to promote it? Get in contact.