Everyone is reminded to make efforts to help save energy during the University’s festive season closure.
Get ready for the festive break
It's easy to help make sure your residence is properly shut down for the break if you're going away. Clearing up a few bits and pieces and turning a few things off will not only reduce emissions - it will also help to prevent fires and keep your building secure over the winter period.
- Close all of the doors and windows
- Unplug non-essential equipment (screens, PCs, games consoles etc...)
- Check for dripping taps
- Empty and defrost your fridge freezer
- Turn down the heating (but not off to avoid frozen pipes!)
- Switch off the lights (including decorations)
- Close the curtains if you're going away
- Close and lock all windows and doors.
- Shut curtains and lower thermostat on your heater to reduce energy consumption.
- Recycle or dispose of any unwanted items/rubbish.
- Label and store food items appropriately.
- Please put all rubbish in the bin store and empty the recycling into the appropriate bins on site.
- Please lock all windows and doors and ensure main stair doors are closed.
- Please do not leave items in the fridge that may go off in your absence and store all food items appropriately.
- Please do not switch off the heating/hot water in your flat or room, but in an effort to conserve energy please turn the heating down to the lowest setting.
- Please switch off all lights and electrical appliances.
- Please ensure that your dishes are washed and stored away and that your flat/room is left in a tidy state
Download 2018 materials (posters, email signatures, and screen images)
Posters available to download and print below.