Carbon Literacy Training
Develop your knowledge of the climate crisis by taking the accredited and award winning Carbon Literacy Training here at the University of Edinburgh.
What is Carbon Literacy Training?
Carbon Literacy means being aware of the impact of everyday activities on the climate, knowing what steps can be taken to reduce emissions and why it’s important that we all take these steps. Carbon Literacy Training is a day's worth of training, currently being offered as three two-hour online sessions and two hours of self-work as an alternative to a day of training face to face, due to Covid-19.
The University offers Carbon Literacy Training for all students and staff, accredited by the Carbon Literacy Project. The actions of individuals can and do make a difference.
Why take the training?
- The training is an engaging, interactive and fun way to learn.
- You will equip yourself with the facts and understanding you need to make positive change for the climate in your own life and to positively influence those around you.
- Learners who complete a day's worth of approved Carbon Literacy learning can be certified as Carbon Literate, with a certificate as evidence. This can be used to boost CVs and annual reviews.
The course covers topics such as:
why the climate crisis is an urgent challenge
understanding climate science basics and climate crisis impacts
inequalities involved in the climate crisis
actions being taken at a local and global level
actions you can take to make an impact
The course is open to all staff and students.
- should have a desire to learn about the importance of the climate crisis and a desire to make changes to have an impact
- do not need any prior knowledge in the area - this will be covered in the course
- will need access to a computer or smart device, such as a mobile phone or tablet, in order to complete the sessions
- should make sure they have availability for each of the three sessions and as spaces are limited, we ask that you only sign up if you are certain you can attend and participate
To become certified, you will need to commit to undertake an individual action and a group action. You will need to detail these actions and your learnings from the course in a follow up form after the final session. We will help you through this.
Register your interest
If you have any questions about the Carbon Literacy Training, please contact Alan Peddie, Projects Coordinator (Alan.Peddie@ed.ac.uk).