Take our professional development course for staff: Be Sustainable Advanced
'Be Sustainable Advanced' is a professional development course for staff who want a more in-depth understanding of social responsibility and sustainability, and how to make positive changes in the workplace and at home.
The next course will take place from August - November 2020. Register your interest at the bottom of this page.
This course will be delivered online and is an excellent opportunity for anyone who wants to make sustainability part of their professional development.
The course has been developed in partnership with Learning for Sustainability Scotland incorporating expertise and resources from across the University of Edinburgh.
The course comprises of:
- an introductory classroom session
- six one-hour online modules released fortnightly over fifteen weeks hosted on the University's Learn platform (accessed via MyEd)
- a mid-point classroom session to check your learning
- a final classroom session.
The modules are:
- Climate Change
Each module contains materials in three sections - the first looks at the issue in a global context, the second in a local Scottish or University context, and the third looks at what this means for us as individuals at home or in the workplace.
Modules are released online every fortnight for participants to complete at their desks as part of professional and personal development time. Each module takes one - two hours to complete, and participants have two weeks to complete it. It is advised that participants seek approval from their line manager to complete the course during work time as part of professional development.
|25 August 2020||Introductory session|
|28 October 2020||Mid-point meetup|
|19 November 2020||Final session|
By taking this course you will be able to:
- understand the importance of sustainable behaviours on personal, institutional, and global levels
- recognise how we can all contribute to change and the positive impact of small changes
- feel empowered as an individual to take practical steps and changes to be more sustainable and socially responsible
- appreciate the value of community and the link between the personal and professional aspects of people’s lives
- identify your scope of influence in implementing change across your workplace.
- Participants should have a desire to learn about the importance of sustainable behaviours in the workplace.
- Participants do not need any prior knowledge in sustainability - this will be covered in the course.
- Participants will need access to a computer or smart device, such as a mobile phone or tablet, in order to complete the modules.
- Participants should seek approval from their line manager to complete the course in work time. There are six modules released fortnightly, and each module takes one - two hours to complete.
To complete the course you will be expected to:
- Participate in the introductory, mid-course and final online sessions
- Engage with the six course modules, at a time that is convenient to you
- Participate in online discussions and share your past and present experiences with others
- Plan a personal project involving an action/actions for sustainability
Register for Be Sustainable Advanced
Fill in this form to register your interest in taking the Be Sustainable Advanced professional development course.
We'll be in touch within a few weeks to confirm when the course will start and to offer you a place.