Take our professional development course for staff: Be Sustainable Advanced
'Be Sustainable Advanced' is a professional development course for staff who want a more in-depth understanding of social responsibility and sustainability, and how to make positive changes in the workplace and at home.
The next course begins on Wednesday 22nd January 2020. Register your interest by providing us with your email address at the bottom of this page.
The course is a mixture of online and classroom-based learning, and is an excellent opportunity for anyone who wants to make sustainability part of their professional development.
The course has been developed in partnership with Learning for Sustainability Scotland incorporating expertise and resources from across the University of Edinburgh.
The course comprises of:
- an introductory classroom session
- six one-hour online modules released fortnightly over fifteen weeks hosted on the University's Learn platform (accessed via MyEd)
- a mid-point classroom session to check your learning
- a final classroom session.
The modules are:
- Climate Change
Each module contains materials in three sections - the first looks at the issue in a global context, the second in a local Scottish or University context, and the third looks at what this means for us as individuals at home or in the workplace.
Modules are released online every fortnight for participants to complete at their desks as part of professional and personal development time. Each module takes one - two hours to complete, and participants have two weeks to complete it. It is advised that participants seek approval from their line manager to complete the course during work time as part of professional development.
By taking this course you will be able to:
- understand the importance of sustainable behaviours on personal, institutional, and global levels
- recognise how we can all contribute to change and the positive impact of small changes
- feel empowered as an individual to take practical steps and changes to be more sustainable and socially responsible
- appreciate the value of community and the link between the personal and professional aspects of people’s lives
- identify your scope of influence in implementing change across your workplace.
The dates for the course are as follows:
|Wednesday 22nd January 2020||
0930 - 1200 classroom
|Introductory classroom session|
|Wednesday 22nd January 2020||AM||Community module released|
|Wednesday 5th February 2020||AM||Food module released|
|Wednesday 19th February 2020||AM||Climate Change module released|
|Wednesday 4th March 2020||AM||Waste module released|
|Wednesday 18th March 2020||
1000 - 1200 classroom
|Mid-point classroom session|
|Wednesday 18th March 2020||AM||Travel module released|
|Wednesday 1st April 2020||AM||Wellbeing module released|
|Wednesday 29th April 2020||
0930 - 1200 classroom
Final classroom session
Personal project presentations
- Participants should have a desire to learn about the importance of sustainable behaviours in the workplace.
- Participants do not need any prior knowledge in sustainability - this will be covered in the course.
- Participants will need access to a computer or smart device, such as a mobile phone or tablet, in order to complete the modules.
- Participants should be available for the classroom sessions.
- Participants should seek approval from their line manager to complete the course in work time. There are six modules released fortnightly, and each module takes one - two hours to complete.
Register for Be Sustainable Advanced
If you would like to register your interest for the next Be Sustainable Advanced course, please enter your email address below. We'll be back in touch soon to confirm if you would like a place on the course.