Find out how your old computers and other IT equipment can be reused and what to do next.
The IT Reuse project has reused over 2,000 PCs and 2,000 items like keyboards, mice, and monitors since 2015.
The project offers a service that can help you get more out of your IT equipment.
Bradley Richards (Bradley.firstname.lastname@example.org), IT Reuse Assistant, offers dedicated support to help facilitate the reuse of IT equipment. This includes:
- Fixing, cleaning and securely wiping items
- Sourcing items
- Moving and rehoming items
- Offering advice for reusing equipment
If you are interested in sourcing reused IT equipment or donating disused equipment, please get in touch on the email above.
All of our items go through the University's reuse portal, Warp It. Find out about registering an account here:
If there are items that cannot stay within the University, they are donated to the Edinburgh Remakery, a local Social Enterprise.
How to put a PC on Warp It yourself
This is a step by step guide for anyone interested in putting a machine with data on Warp It themselves.
Before getting started
This is reserved for Computer Reps only. The person uploading the PC is responsible for going through all of the steps listed. If you are unsure if you are a Computer Rep or want to find out where the nearest Computer Rep is, contact Alan Peddie (email@example.com).
Step by Step guide
- The following models are appropriate for internal reuse: HP 8300, HP 800 G1, HP 800 G2, HP 800 G3, any Dell Post 2012 or any apple product post-2011.
- The IT Reuse Project has access to Blannco software for wiping hard drives though DBAN is fine for internal reuse.
- Confirm whether the device needs to be PAT tested. If the PC is for single use and not plugged into an extension then it doesn’t need to be PAT tested. If it is for communal use or plugged into an extension then the wires used must be PAT tested.
- Keep a record. Have you made a note of the serial number? Usually, this is located on the top of the tower on a sticker. Also, make a note of when you did the wiping process. Use the additional comments box when uploading the PC to Warp It.
If you have followed all steps listed above, then you are ready to upload the information about the PC to Warp It.
How to claim a PC from Warp It
It is the responsibility of the person claiming the PC to arrange collection/delivery of the PC. If you are claiming a PC email the person who uploaded the PC directly to discuss the best options for you. If you need help with arranging delivery, please get in touch.