Introduction to Sustainability
Open to both staff and students, Introduction to Sustainability is a short online course that introduces you to some of the ways you can become more sustainable at the University of Edinburgh, and in your own life.
In this course you will learn:
- What sustainability is, and three key issues facing the world today.
- Five key areas in which the University is becoming more sustainable.
- What actions you can take to live, work and study more sustainably.
The course takes 45-60 minutes to complete and covers issues such as the climate crisis, the biodiversity crisis and social inequality, plus topics such as energy, waste, travel, food and purchasing.
The course contains videos (with subtitles), links to interesting articles, a quiz, and space at the end for you to write down what actions you have chosen to increase your personal sustainability impact.
Click the link below. The page might say "Access Denied"; the option to enrol is in the left-hand menu.
If this doesn't work for you, please follow these instructions:
- Login to Learn using your normal University login details.
- Choose "Self-Enrol" in the top right corner.
- Choose "Browse Course Catalogue", type in 'Introduction to Sustainability", and select "Go".
- Select "Enrol" using the drop-down arrow next to the course ID.
- Introduction to Sustainability will now appear on your "My Courses" list; select it to enter the course.
This training was formerly known as Be Sustainable.
We hope you enjoy this course; if you have any questions, please email us.