Fair and sustainable procurement
The University has made various commitments to working towards socially responsible and sustainable procurement and supply chains.
Our sustainable procurement goal is to procure goods and services in ways that maximise efficiency and effectiveness while minimising social, environmental and other risks.
When buying through the University’s purchasing systems, or using other University contracted suppliers, students and staff can be confident that environmental and social issues have been taken into account.
What can I do?
- Do not buy unless you need to. Check if your department already has the item, use Warp It, or contact the Furniture Office. Join Warp It
- Use existing contracts and services. The University is working to embed sustainability in its agreements with suppliers. Look for the item you want to buy on e-Procurement systems (Sci-Quest) or on the procurement website. Register to access the SciQuest System [University login required]
- Use fair trade products. To help maintain our status as a Fairtrade University, try to use fair trade products, especially when organising meetings.
- Get quotes and think about impact. If your item isn’t covered by an existing contract, consider its impact and obtain quotes from at least three suppliers.
- If it’s worth £50k or more, you MUST contact Procurement. They will give you advice on tendering and improving the sustainability of your tender.
- Cut the number of deliveries you need by ordering “lean” and in bulk. Try to do a single order once a month for each supplier, and email colleagues to make sure you haven’t missed anything. Why not share with other teams or even other buildings?
Do you have an idea? Many great initiatives were introduced as a direct result of community ideas - including becoming a Fairtrade University.
Contact the Procurement Team
Think about these questions.
- Do I need it? Can I repair or reuse it instead?
- What is it made of?
- In what conditions was it made?
- How energy efficient is it?
- How long will it last?
- How will I dispose of it?
When buying for yourself, try to buy reusable rather than disposable items.
Avoid products with too much packaging.
What is the University doing?
We are leveraging our buying power to make a better world by:
- Organising supplier events, such as our Supplier Sustainability Days
- Creating supplier guides that highlight our responsible purchasing approach and sustainability commitments, and signpost to helpful resources
- Analysing five key categories through sustainable procurement prioritisation
Catering supplies and services
The Estates category is under review.